AP NEWS
Related topics

One sent to hospital after fire in DeKalb

September 24, 2016

DeKALB – One person was injured Friday when an accidental stove top fire caused $75,000 worth of damage to a residence on Northern Court.

DeKalb firefighters were called to 1120 Northern Court shortly before 5 p.m. Friday for a report of a grease fire in the kitchen. When firefighters arrived, smoke could be seen coming from the garage and windows of the residence. They also saw fire coming out of a garden-level window in the back of the residence.

Firefighters had the fire under control within 23 minutes, according to a news release from DeKalb Fire Department Fire Investigator Adam Miller.

Fire and smoke damage extended into the rooms adjacent to the kitchen, requiring extensive salvage and overhaul, according to the news release. The damage was estimated at $75,000.

Firefighters remained at the residence for several hours to make sure the fire was out.

DeKalb paramedics treated one person for injuries at the scene. The person was taken to Kishwaukee Hospital, according to the release.

The American Red Cross assisted the residents with temporary housing and needed amenities, the release said.