Click to copy
Click to copy
Related topics

One Child Missing, One Saved in Lake Michigan By Windsurfer With PM-Weatherpage Weather

April 6, 1988

CHICAGO (AP) _ A windsurfer out on Lake Michigan to enjoy the unseasonably warm weather saved a boy from the choppy water, but a second child was missing today, police said.

The rescued boy, 11-year-old Michael Evans, was one of two children on an inflatable raft that was pushedaway from shore by high winds and waves Tuesday afternoon.

Missing was 10-year-old Denise Taylor. Divers called off their search for her when darkness fell, and winds gusting to 50 mph this morning prevented them from resuming the search, police said.

Crews are checking the lakeshore and will go out onto the lake as soon as winds subside, Officer LeRoy Marcianik said.

Perry Tulk, 30, of Chicago said as he arrived at Montrose Beach to windsurf he ″noticed someone was in a rubber raft tht was way out,″ but as he was setting up his board he saw that they had jumped off and were fighting to swim toward shore.

Tulk said he fell into the water twice on the way out to the children because the wind was ″screaming.″

″I saw the closest one to me go under water, so I jumped off my board and grabbed him,″ Tulk said in a telephone interview Tuesday night. ″I could see him bobbing completely under water - I figured he was about to cash it in.″

Tulk said he told the boy to hold tightly to the straps on the board.

″He looked like a frozen mouse,″ he said. ″All he was wearing was a pair of shorts.″

Temperatures in Chicago on Tuesday reached 85 degrees, but the lake temperature was only about 40 degrees.

Tulk said he was struggling to paddle toward shore when a helicopter arrived on the scene, and a diver helped them to the beach.

Michael was in fair condition at Children’s Memorial Hospital, said Kathy Canick, a nursing superviser. ″The boy is called a near drowning and he’s in for observation,″ she said.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.