Five things you need to know today, Dec. 17
Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Monday, Dec. 17. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. The Odessa City Council’s Friday retreat was the first in about 10 years where they discussed developing a vision of what they want Odessa to look like in the next 20 years.
2. Freshmen at OCTECHS got a chance to build their own contraptions to be displayed as part of the Rube Goldberg Fair at the Learning Resource Center at Odessa College.
3. The Odessa Animal Control shelter drew mass attention on social media last week after Susie Clark, chairwoman of the Odessa Animal Control Advisory Board, posted on Facebook that the decision was made for every dog at the shelter to be put down.
4. A 35-year-old man was arrested Thursday by Odessa police after reportedly choking and robbing a woman at Arbor Oaks Apartments.
5. IN SPORTS: Eight games into the 2018-19 season, the UTPB men’s basketball team finds itself at a 7-1 overall record and 1-0 in conference while leading the Lone Star Conference in scoring so far.
EXTRA: The 24th year of the Empty Stocking Fund has a $100,000 goal that won’t be met without your help. Funds stay in Ector County and go to help needy families