VALLEY SANTA: Family Seeks Help After Young Girl’s Mother Dies

December 4, 2018 GMT

Four-year-old Sophia will spend her first Christmas without her mother this year.

Her mother, Andrea, recently died and her Aunt Jean is raising her.

Her grandmother, Carol, who is in jail, wrote a letter to Valley Santa asking if Sophia could receive a Christmas gift.

She said Jean has another daughter and she is having a tough time paying for the cost of her sister’s funeral expenses.

“I know this year, she is financially struggling,” Carol wrote. “Since this will be Sophia’s first Christmas without her mother, I am praying she can have a wonderful one.”

Everyone is encouraged to donate to Valley Santa to ensure that Sophia and every child in need in Luzerne County has a gift to open on Christmas morning.


Volunteers shop for toys and wrap gifts for children in need at Boscov’s in Wilkes-Barre.

“I am grateful there are agencies such as yours,” Carol wrote to Valley Santa. “You are truly a blessing.”




Write a letter in care of Valley Santa, P.O. Box 5268, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711. Explain the need that exists in as much detail as possible. You must include your name, ages and genders of your children, your full address, zip code and telephone number. The letter must be co-signed by a clergy member or social worker and must include their name, address and telephone number for confirmation purposes. Requests will be considered for children 12 years of age and younger. Requests must be postmarked by Dec. 15. No telephone requests will be accepted.



Send a check or money order to The Valley Santa Fund Inc., P.O. Box 5276, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711. Checks should be made payable to The Valley Santa Fund Inc. Visit valleysanta.org to donate via PayPal. All donations are tax deductible. Monetary donations also will be accepted at any M&T Bank branch in the Wyoming Valley. Because Santa has no workshop or warehouse space, no new or used toys can be accepted. Donors names will be published in The Citizens’ Voice and Standard-Speaker.



Call Help Line: 570-829-1341.