Brazil’s Luis undergoes surgery, could make it to World Cup
MADRID (AP) — Brazil left back Filipe Luis is expected to recover in time for the World Cup after undergoing surgery to repair a broken left leg on Friday.
Atletico Madrid said Luis was expected to be sidelined for about two months after doctors successfully installed a plate in the left fibula he broke on Thursday in the Europa League.
The injury put in doubt Luis’ participation in the World Cup in Russia, depending on the severity.
Brazil’s first game at the World Cup is against Switzerland on June 17.
“Thank you very much for all the support,” Luis wrote on his Instagram account. “A lot of people said it was bad luck, but I think it was the opposite. I am very lucky to have a challenge in front of me and feel the love of so many people, and see that there is a lot of good in the world and that people unite to help others overcome their challenges.”
The 32-year-old Luis had been called up by Brazil coach Tite for friendlies against Russia in Moscow on March 23 and against Germany in Berlin on March 27. The Brazilian federation said Luis was replaced by Juventus left back Alex Sandro.
Luis was injured on Thursday while trying to prevent Lokomotiv Moscow forward Eder taking a shot from inside the area in the 60th minute. He successfully cleared the ball but his leg was hit from behind. He was taken off on a stretcher.
Atletico won the last-16 match 5-1 and advanced 8-1 on aggregate after the victory in Russia.
Also on Friday, Atletico said defender Juanfran Torres injured a hamstring in explaining why he left the match at halftime. The club did not say how long Torres will be sidelined.
Atletico is eight points behind Spanish league leader Barcelona with 10 matches remaining. Its next league match is on Sunday at Villarreal.
More AP Spanish soccer coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/LaLiga