11-year-old hospitalized after unknowingly ingesting heroin
LAUREL, Del. (AP) — Delaware State Police say an 11-year-old was hospitalized after unknowingly ingesting heroin.
Police said the incident happened Monday after the child received the substance from a school friend.
Delaware State News reports that the child went into cardiac arrest at a home in Millsboro and was taken to a hospital. An update on the child’s condition could not immediately be determined Saturday.
An investigation determined that the child’s friend found an Altoids container in a vehicle while being driven to school by his stepmother. He opened it to find a concealed and unknown substance eventually given to the victim.
Police said they found approximately 65 bags of heroin when they searched the home of the vehicle’s owner. Gilbert Dickerson was charged with possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance.
Information from: Delaware State News, http://delawarestatenews.net