Police interview 2, charge 1 in Easter homicide
A Beaumont man was charged Monday with murder in connection with a local homicide a day earlier.
Tristan Kavon Jackson, 23, was taken into custody Monday evening after he and another man came to the Beaumont Police Department to talk to detectives.
Police spokeswoman Carol Riley said in a news release that Jackson confessed to the Easter morning shooting of Darrell Howard.
Riley, a BPD veteran, said she has known Jackson since he was a child.
“It breaks my heart that he’s in the situation he’s in,” she said. “But a life was taken.”
The shooting may have been recorded on a cell phone video, police Sgt. Cody Guedry said earlier in the day.
Police also released surveillance video from a nearby convenience store in an attempt to identify one of the possible suspects.
At about 2:02 a.m. Sunday, officers found Howard, 43, unresponsive near the street in the 3100 block of Concord Road. Howard, who had been shot in the abdomen, was taken to Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital, where he later died.
It was the seventh homicide in Beaumont this year, occurring less than two weeks after local business owner Anthony Wilson was fatally shot while trying to stop a burglary attempt at his West End home. Four suspects, including three teenagers, have been charged in relation to Wilson’s death.
There has been “a real uptick” in homicides this spring, Guedry said.
This time last year, there had been two murders in Beaumont, which was on par with the 2017, according to monthly reports from the department. Last year ended with a total of 14 homicides, two fewer than in 2017.
Anyone with information on Howard’s death is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (409) 833-8477.