AP NEWS

Shia LaBeouf’s Trump project shut down again

March 25, 2017

Shia LaBeouf’s anti-Donald Trump project has been shut down in Liverpool.

A flag with the words - ‘HE WILL NOT DIVIDE US’ - was installed outside the Foundation for Art and Creative Technology (FACT) in the northern England city but it has been taken down just one day after it was installed following reports of “dangerous [and] illegal trespassing”.

In a statement on Twitter, FACT said: “On police advice, FACT and LaBeouf, Rönkkö & Turner have removed the installation HEWILLNOTDIVIDE.US due to dangerous, illegal trespassing. (sic)”

Whilst cops added in a statement to the BBC: ”[There were reports] that a group of men were believed to be trying to get to a flag on the roof of the building. The males had left the area when patrols arrived. Advice was given to staff at the venue about the location of the flag which has since been removed.”

FACT had previously agreed to display the flag for the next four years or for the duration of the 45th Presidency of the United States.

In a statement made at the time, Shia, Nastja Säd Rönkkö & Luke Turner said: “Events have shown that America is simply not safe enough for this artwork to exist.”

Whilst Turner - who grew up in the north of England - added: “We are proud to be continuing the project at FACT, an arts centre at the heart of the community.”

The project has been shut down a number of times in the past since it was first unveiled at the Museum of Moving Image in Queens, New York.

From there, it moved to the El Rey Theatre in Albuquerque, New Mexico, but had to be taken away after there were reports of gunshots in the area.

Since early March, the flag had been flying at an unknown location in the United States before being moved to Liverpool.

It is not known where, or if, the project will be installed next.