Day in History: People flock to see footage of World War I
1992 – 25 years ago
• The family of a St. Charles pilot who helped stop Germany’s planned invasion of England 50 years ago has received four medals the pilot earned but was never awarded. Art Donahue is considered the United States’ first war hero of World War II and one of seven American who fought in the British Royal Air Force in the Battle of Britain in 1940. Donahue’s plane went down on September 11, 1942, in the English Channel after shooting down a German bomber.
1967 – 50 years ago
• Jean Tentis was named queen of the 21st annual Kellogg Watermelon Festival. More than 8,000 attended the parade in Kellogg.
• A Peace Corps placement test will be offered in Rochester this weekend at the Post Office. The Peace Corps uses the test to determine how an applicant can best be utilized overseas.
1942 – 75 years ago
• The practice began last year of painting school rooms in pastel shades. Soft green, blue and peach colored walls greeted students when they returned to school this fall instead of tan and ivory colors.
• St. Bernard’s Catholic Church in Stewartville will dedicate two flags which were donated recently. The Stewartville American Legion post and auxiliary will march to the church prior to the dedication service.
1917 – 100 years ago
• Great crowds flocked to the opening presentation of the war picture, “The Battle of the Ancre and the Advance of the Tanks.” The movie showed footage of soldiers behind the line including images of tanks on the move. The movie will be shown for three days at the Empress Theater.
• All pay in the United States army will be raised 20 per cents. Buglers and second class privates will now receive $33 a month. Artillery, cavalry, wagoners and corporals will receive $40.20 a month.
From news services
Ten years ago: A new Osama bin Laden videotape was released on the sixth anniversary of 9/11; in it, the al-Qaida leader’s voice is heard commemorating one of the suicide hijackers and calling on young Muslims to follow his example by martyring themselves in attacks. China signed an agreement to prohibit the use of lead paint on toys exported to the United States.
Five years ago: A mob armed with guns and grenades launched a fiery nightlong attack on a U.S. diplomatic outpost and a CIA annex in Benghazi, Libya, killing U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans. President Barack Obama and Republican rival Mitt Romney toned down the campaign rhetoric and pulled negative ads amid commemorations of the 9/11 attacks, saying it was not a day for politics.
One year ago: The U.S. marked the 15th anniversary of 9/11 with the solemn roll call of the dead at ground zero. Hillary Clinton abruptly left after feeling “overheated,” according to her campaign, and hours later her doctor disclosed that the Democratic presidential nominee had pneumonia. Stan Wawrinka wore Novak Djokovic down and beat the defending champion 6-7 (1), 6-4, 7-5, 6-3 for his first U.S. Open title and third Grand Slam trophy overall. Savvy Shields of Arkansas was crowned Miss America 2017 at the pageant in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Today’s birthdays: Former Sen. Daniel Akaka, D-Hawaii, is 93. Actor Earl Holliman is 89. Comedian Tom Dreesen is 78. Movie director Brian De Palma is 77. Singer-actress-dancer Lola Falana is 75. Rock musician Mickey Hart (The Dead) is 74. Singer-musician Leo Kottke is 72. Actor Phillip Alford is 69. Actress Amy Madigan is 67. Rock singer-musician Tommy Shaw (Styx) is 64. Sports reporter Lesley Visser is 64. Actor Reed Birney is 63. Singer-songwriter Diane Warren is 61. Former Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson is 60. Musician Jon Moss (Culture Club) is 60. Actor Scott Patterson is 59. Rock musician Mick Talbot (The Style Council) is 59. Actress Roxann Dawson is 59. Actor John Hawkes is 58. Actress Anne Ramsay is 57. Actress Virginia Madsen is 56. Actress Kristy McNichol is 55. Musician-composer Moby is 52. Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is 52. Business reporter Maria Bartiromo is 50. Singer Harry Connick Jr. is 50. Rock musician Bart Van Der Zeeuw is 49. Actress Taraji P. Henson is 47. Actress Laura Wright is 47. Rock musician Jeremy Popoff (Lit) is 46. Blogger Markos Moulitsas is 46. Singer Brad Fischetti (LFO) is 42. Rapper Mr. Black is 40. Rock musician Jon Buckland (Coldplay) is 40. Rapper Ludacris is 40. Rock singer Ben Lee is 39. Actor Ryan Slattery is 39. Actress Ariana Richards is 38. Country singer Charles Kelley (Lady Antebellum) is 36. Actress Elizabeth Henstridge is 30. Actor Tyler Hoechlin is 30. Actress Mackenzie Aladjem is 16.