Police: Choking boy saved by quick action by parents, police
BRICK, N.J. (AP) — Authorities say a choking New Jersey toddler was saved earlier this month by quick action by his parents — one of whom is a nurse — and police officers.
Brick Township police say Melissa Travers and her husband, Ryan, were giving their two children a bath June 9 when 21-month-old Bruce vomited and began to choke. They called 911 and Melissa, a nurse, began CPR.
Officer Tyler Stevenson managed to dislodge the obstruction and clear the boy’s mouth, then carried him to an ambulance. Bruce spent a few days at the hospital before being discharged.
Officer Stephenson and Officer Kevin Docherty reunited with the Travers family Thursday. Police say the boy’s mother called it “the most frightening moment of our entire life” — and Officer Stephenson said “Mine too.”