Lowell Party Turns to Melee, Drawing Major Police Response

May 14, 2018

LOWELL -- Multiple attempts by police to end a party in the Highlands on Saturday night turned into a melee requiring more than 20 officers to restore order.

Lowell police Capt. Jonathan Webb said police deployed a Taser to subdue one individual, but no other injuries were reported.

Five Lowell residents were arrested, including Anthony Guerra, 22; Charles Kong, 23; Charlie Mith, 23; Michelle Meak, 28; and Kevin Siriouthay, 22, on various charges including disturbing the peace and assault and battery on a police officer.

An 18-year-old who fled the scene, but is known to police, will be summoned to court on two counts of assault and battery on a police officer, according to Webb.

The incident began when police were called to a loud part at a two-family building at 604/606 Westford St. at around 10 p.m.

“Upon arrival, they could hear loud music and see a strobe light flashing out the windows,” Webb said. “The flashing lights and music were disturbing the neighborhood.”

Kong, who identified himself as a resident of the address, agreed to lower the music and police cleared the scene.

Around 10:40 p.m., police received a call reporting the same complaint at the Westford Street location. Police returned to the scene where they told Kong to end the party. Police also threatened possible criminal charges if he did not comply.

At around 11:15 p.m., police received yet another call reporting a loud party at the Westford Street home. Police returned to witness around 20 people at the scene who were immediately told to leave, according to Webb.

As the scene began to clear, Mith allegedly started a disturbance.

“Officers attempted to place him under arrest and they were jumped by other people from the crowd and a general disturbance broke out,” Webb said. “Every available Lowell police officer and every available Lowell detective was summoned to the scene, as well as multiple units from Chelmsford PD and UMass Lowell PD. Approximately two dozen offices were needed to restore order.”

During the course of the fracas, officer uniforms were torn and damaged, but no officers were injured.

The five Lowell residents arrested are slated to be arraigned in court on Monday.

Follow Aaron Curtis on Twitter @aselahcurtis.