AP NEWS

Christmas decor causes fire

November 30, 2016

NEW ULM - The New Ulm Fire Department (NUFD)?responded to a roof fire shortly before 9 a.m. Tuesday, at River Bend Business Products, 203 N. Minnesota St., a NUFD press release said.

Upon arrival, crews discovered flames on the northeast corner of the roof.

The fire was extinguished within 15 minutes, the press release said.

The fire was contained to an approximately 25-square-foot area of the roof.

An investigation found that the anchor holding the guy wire for the Christmas decorations arced onto the roof flashing ignited the fire. Public Utilities crews and the NUFD found that winds caused the decorations to rub through the insulation, which energized the guy wire to the flashing of the roof.

Public Utilities crews removed the damaged decorations and continued to inspect remaining decorations for similar damage.

This is a reminder for everyone with home decorations to also be mindful and inspect decorations not only while putting up, but throughout the holiday season, the NUFD?press release said.