AP NEWS
Related topics

Wood stove blamed in trailer fire

March 17, 2018 GMT

MICHIGAN CITY — A wood-burning stove is believed to be the cause of a fire that destroyed a trailer home about 3 p.m. Wednesday in Springfield Township.

Sanford Cook told police the stove was burning when he left his residence about 90 minutes earlier, according to a report from the La Porte County Sheriff’s Department, advising this was his normal routine.

A neighbor contacted Cook, who soon arrived on the scene, police said. The trailer, on the west side of 8626N CR-500W, was not insured, Cook told police.

A dog escaped from the fire but it was unknown whether two cats survived, the report said. The trailer was otherwise unoccupied at the time of the blaze.