AP NEWS
Click to copy
Click to copy

17-year-old girl still critical after Swiss train attack

August 15, 2016
The train station Salez - Sennwald photographed in Salez, Switzerland, on Sunday Aug. 14, 2016. The man who attacked passengers on a crowded Swiss train with a knife and burning liquid died of his wounds Sunday, as did one of his victims, a 34-year-old woman, Swiss police said. Three others remain hospitalized with serious wounds. Police are still searching for a motive but said there's no indication the suspect, identified only as a 27-year-old Swiss man from a neighboring region, had ties to extremist groups. (Gian Ehrenzeller/Keystone via AP)
The train station Salez - Sennwald photographed in Salez, Switzerland, on Sunday Aug. 14, 2016. The man who attacked passengers on a crowded Swiss train with a knife and burning liquid died of his wounds Sunday, as did one of his victims, a 34-year-old woman, Swiss police said. Three others remain hospitalized with serious wounds. Police are still searching for a motive but said there's no indication the suspect, identified only as a 27-year-old Swiss man from a neighboring region, had ties to extremist groups. (Gian Ehrenzeller/Keystone via AP)

BERLIN (AP) — A 17-year-old girl remained in life-threatening condition Monday after a man attacked her and other passengers on a Swiss train with a knife and burning liquid, police said.

Seven people including the suspect were wounded in the Saturday afternoon attack. On Sunday, the 27-year-old assailant and a 34-year-old woman he had attacked died of their injuries.

Police in Switzerland’s St. Gallen canton (state) said the youngest victim, a six-year-old girl, has stabilized and is no longer in a life-threatening condition.

Police were unable to interrogate the attacker, identified only as a Swiss citizen from a neighboring canton. They are still trying to determine the motive behind the attack, which took place as the train neared the Swiss town of Salez, close to the border with Liechtenstein.

Swiss media reported, without citing sources, that the attacker had been living for around three years in Liechtenstein.

St. Gallen police said a search had been carried out at the suspect’s residence in Liechtenstein in connection with the case, but reiterated that he officially was registered as living in a neighboring Swiss canton.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.