AP NEWS

Man dies in house fire after toaster overheats, causes blaze

February 14, 2020 GMT

VASSALBORO, Maine (AP) — A man died in a house fire in Maine when a toaster overheated, police said.

The fire killed Nicholas Blaschke, 26, on Thursday in a home he shared with his mother in Vassalboro. Police said Blaschke’s mother, Kathleen Cote, tried to pull her son from the blaze, but wasn’t able to do it.

A state trooper who lives in the area was able to remove Blaschke from the home, but resuscitation efforts were not successful, police said.

Police said the fire appeared to happen because Blascke overloaded the toaster, causing it to overheat and catch fire.