AP NEWS

The Latest: Boy arrested in school shooting threats

November 22, 2019

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Latest on an arrest in a school shooting threat in Southern California (all times local):

11:45 a.m.

Authorities say a 13-year-old boy was arrested and a gun was seized after classmates overheard him threatening to shoot up his Los Angeles-area middle school.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva says deputies serving a search warrant Thursday at the boy’s home found a rifle and 100 rounds of ammunition.

The sheriff says the teen threatened to shoot classmates and staff on Friday at Animo Mae Jemison Charter Middle School in Willowbrook.

He says the boy was arrested at his home on suspicion of making criminal threats.

Investigators are trying to determine where he got the gun. Officials said earlier that it’s an unregistered but Villanueva said it does have a serial number.

___

10:45 a.m.

Authorities say an arrest has been made after a student threatened to shoot other students and staff at a Los Angeles-area school.

Undersheriff Tim Murakami tweeted Friday that deputies also seized an AR-15-style rifle, a list of intended victims and a drawing of the school. He did not identify the student, say when the arrest or threat were made, and did not name the school.

Sheriff Alex Villanueva plans a news conference to release more details.

Murakami said the suspect allegedly purchased weapons parts on the internet and created a ghost gun that’s unregistered and untraceable.

Last week a 16-year-old boy used a ghost gun to fatally shoot two classmates and himself at Saugus High School in the Los Angeles suburb of Santa Clarita.