For Retailers it is the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
NEW YORK, Nov. 25, 2019 /PRNewswire/ --
- This Thanksgiving period (between Thanksgiving Thursday and Cyber Monday), shoppers are expected to spend an average of $415 per household.
- Of the shoppers who plan to shop this Thanksgiving period, 87% plan to shop in-store and 94% plan to shop online.
- Mass-merchant stores and online retailers dominate preferred shopping venues.
- Almost all of respondents said they planned to spend the same or more when compared to two months ago (91%); one-third (38%) plan to spend more.
Why this matters
Deloitte commissioned a national survey of 1,200 consumers to better understand spending for the upcoming holiday shopping days between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday. Conducted online, Oct. 31 - Nov. 5, 2019, by an independent research company, the survey provides key insights into consumer behavior and what retailers can expect from shoppers over the Thanksgiving period.
Pass the turkey and the bargains
More than three-quarters of respondents (79%) plan on holiday shopping during the Thanksgiving period.
- Of those who plan to shop in-store, more than one quarter of respondents (26%) will do so on Thanksgiving Day, and 70% will do so on Black Friday
- For those individuals who plan on shopping online, more than one-third (33%) will do so on Thanksgiving Day and 54% plan to shop online on Black Friday
Online and in-store shopping go together like mashed potatoes and gravy
Online shopping continues to grow in popularity when it comes to holiday shopping.
- Of those who plan to shop during the Thanksgiving period, 94% plan on shopping online.
- More than 40% of all online spend for the Thanksgiving period is expected to occur on Cyber Monday.
- Additionally, of consumers who plan on shopping online, 72% will do so on Cyber Monday.
- Online shopping is expected to account for more than half (53%) of Thanksgiving period spend ($234).
- For those who will shop in-store during the Thanksgiving period, 36% will do so on Cyber Monday.
“Despite retailers getting a jump-start on holiday deals — whether that’s announcing a pre-Black Friday sale or offering free shipping — we’re expecting a solid showing in stores on Black Friday this year. For many groups of friends and family, Black Friday shopping is a tradition that brings them all together. However, online shopping continues to attract shoppers, both on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. In fact, of the folks we surveyed, more plan on shopping online than in-store during the Thanksgiving period.”
- Rod Sides, vice chairman, Deloitte LLP,
and U.S. leader, retail, wholesale and distribution
Younger generations lead the way when it comes to Black Friday shopping and spending
Younger generations (Generation Z and Millennials) are more likely to head to the stores on Black Friday.
- Eighty-two percent of Gen Z shoppers plan to be in the store on Black Friday.
- Sixty percent of Millennial shoppers plan to be in stores on Black Friday.
- Gen X shoppers plan on spending the most during the Thanksgiving period, an average of $452, closely followed by Millennials at $446.
Supporting small business and nonprofits
Consumers are thinking locally and charitably during the holiday season, whether supporting small businesses or donating to not-for-profit organizations.
- Nearly half of all shoppers (48%) plan to shop during Small Business Saturday (the Saturday after Thanksgiving) to support local retail businesses.
- Approximately one-quarter of Millennials and Gen Zers surveyed (23%) will participate in Giving Tuesday.
For additional information, visit: https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/insights/us/articles/6382_2019-holiday-survey/2019_pre-Thanksgiving-pulse-survey.pdf.
About the Center
Deloitte Insights Consumer Industry Center (the “Center”) provides a forum for innovation, thought leadership, groundbreaking research, and industry collaboration to help companies solve the most complex industry challenges.
Technology is changing at a rapid pace, and so are consumers. How will these changes impact the way our clients do business in the future? The Center provides premiere insights based on primary research on the most prevalent issues facing the Consumer industry to help our clients run effectively and achieve superior business results.
The Center is your trusted source for information on leading trends and research that connect insights, issues, and solutions for Deloitte’s four Consumer sectors: Automotive, Consumer Products, Retail, Wholesale & Distribution, and Transportation, Hospitality & Services.
Deloitte provides industry-leading audit, consulting, tax and advisory services to many of the world’s most admired brands, including nearly 90% of the Fortune 500® and more than 5,000 private and middle market companies. Our people work across the industry sectors that drive and shape today’s marketplace — delivering measurable and lasting results that help reinforce public trust in our capital markets, inspire clients to see challenges as opportunities to transform and thrive, and help lead the way toward a stronger economy and a healthy society. Deloitte is proud to be part of the largest global professional services network serving our clients in the markets that are most important to them. Our network of member firms spans more than 150 countries and territories. Learn how Deloitte’s more than 312,000 people worldwide make an impact that matters at www.deloitte.com.
Deloitte refers to one or more of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee (“DTTL”), its network of member firms, and their related entities. DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL (also referred to as “Deloitte Global”) does not provide services to clients. In the United States, Deloitte refers to one or more of the US member firms of DTTL, their related entities that operate using the “Deloitte” name in the United States and their respective affiliates. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.
View original content to download multimedia: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/for-retailers-it-is-the-most-wonderful-time-of-the-year-300963963.html