Related topics

WIAA boys soccer: Kyle Hagerman’s hat trick sets up shootout, and Sun Prairie wins it

October 29, 2018 GMT

Sun Prairie senior Kyle Hagerman earned another metaphorical hat on Saturday, along with a trip to Uihlein Soccer Park in Milwaukee.

Hagerman scored his latest hat trick on Saturday, helping the Cardinals earn what was officially a 3-3 draw with visiting Kettle Moraine in a WIAA Division 1 sectional final on Saturday evening.

But the Cardinals needed to win a penalty-kicks shootout over the Lasers to advance, and they did so by a 4-3 count to advance to a state semifinal match Friday.

The score was 2-2 at the end of regulation, and Hagerman gave the 10th-ranked Cardinals (14-4-3) a lead over the third-ranked Lasers (12-1-5) with an overtime goal on an assist from midfielder Jakob Knauss.

Kettle Moraine’s Jack Janz was able to score the equalizer minutes later to force a shootout.

The Cardinals will play in a state semifinal on Friday against an opponent to be determined in today’s seeding meeting.

Division 2

Oregon 1, Elkhorn 1 (SO)

The second-ranked Panthers (18-2-2) made all five of their penalty kicks — and then watched the fifth and final attempt by Elkhorn, taken by Sean Ahler, bounce off the crossbar — to advance past the sixth-ranked Elks (17-1-3) and earn a return trip to the state tournament.

The teams played to a scoreless tie through regulation, but the Panthers’ Madison Conduah scored 48 seconds into overtime for a 1-0 lead.

In the 98th minute, Adler scored from 10 feet away for the sixth-ranked Elks (17-1-3) to force the shootout. It was only the second goal Oregon has allowed in the last 16 games, including 14 of their state-record 15 shutouts.

Division 4

Kettle Moraine Lutheran 3, Watertown Luther Prep 2

The seventh-ranked Phoenix (6-8-3) saw their quest for the program’s first state tournament berth come up short, as the sixth-ranked Chargers (16-5-3) wiped out a 2-0 halftime deficit and earned their first state trip.

Josiah Wordell cut the deficit with a goal for the Chargers in the 57th minute, Luke Willis scored in the 81st minute to tie the game, and Willis found the net again in the 83rd minute.