AP NEWS

Police interview two in Easter homicide

April 23, 2019

The Easter morning shooting that killed a Beaumont man may have been recorded, police say.

“We belive that there is cell phone video of this shooting and we need to view it,” Sgt. Cody Guedry of the Beaumont Police Department said Monday.

At about 2:02 a.m. Sunday, officers found Darrell Howard, 43, unresponsive near the street in the 3100 block of Concord Road. Howard, who had been shot in the abdomen, was taken to Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital, where he later died.

Guedry said police do not know what led up to the shooting, but on Monday released the names of two “persons of interest” and asked for information on their whereabouts. The 23- and 24-year-old Beaumont men “have come up in our investigation,” he added.

Both went to the police department voluntarily for questioning Monday afternoon. No charges had been filed by evening.

Police also released surveillance video from a nearby convenience store in an attempt to identify one of the possible suspects.

Howard’s death was the seventh homicide in Beaumont this year, occurring less than two weeks after local business owner Anthony Wilson was fatally shot while trying to stop a burglary attempt at his West End home. Four suspects, including three teenagers, have been charged in relation to Wilson’s death. The youngest suspect, a 15-year-old, could face capital murder charges.

There has been “a real uptick” in homicides this spring, Geurdry said.

This time last year, there had been two murders in Beaumont, which was on par with the 2017, according to monthly reports from the department. Last year ended with a total of 14 homicides, two fewer than in 2017.

Anyone with information on Howard’s death is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (409) 833-8477.

haley.bruyn@beaumontenterprise.com

twitter.com/HaleyWrites_BE