Who’s in the news: Stephen Curry signs broad production deal with Sony Pictures
Michael Che, Colin Jostof ‘SNL’ to host Emmy Awards
LOS ANGELES — NBC says that Michael Che and Colin Jost of “Saturday Night Live” will co-host this year’s Emmy Awards.
Che and Jost anchor the “Weekend Update” segment of “Saturday Night Live” and are head writers on the long-running sketch show.
The Emmy ceremony rotates from the major broadcast networks, allowing them to use the host’s job to highlight a show or performers. “SNL” has enjoyed a ratings resurgence with its sharp-edged jabs at President Donald Trump and his administration.
Alumni of the late-night show have hosted the Emmys, including Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers. But the last current “SNL” cast member to serve as host was Eddie Murphy in 1983.
The 70th prime-time Emmy Awards will air Sept. 17.
Dwayne Johnson is now a doting dad of three girls
Dwayne Johnson’s home is full of women and he wouldn’t have it any other way.
Johnson and his girlfriend Lauren Hashian welcomed their second child together, a girl named Tiana Gia Johnson.
Johnson made the announcement on his Instagram account, accompanied by a photo of him cuddling with the new lady in his life.
“Blessed and proud to bring another strong girl into this world,” he wrote. “Tiana Gia Johnson came into this world like a force of nature and Mama @laurenhashianofficial labored and delivered like a true rockstar.”
Johnson and Hashian also have another daughter, Jasmine lia, who was born in 2015.
Johnson also shares a daughter, Simone Alexandra, with ex-wife Dany Garcia.
The “Rampage” star said he was present for Tiana’s birth, adding the experience gave him a “new level of love, respect and admiration” for his girlfriend and “all mamas and women out there.”
He closed with a message to his youngest daughter: “Your crazy dad has many responsibilities and wears many hats in this big ol’ world, but being your dad will always be the one I’m most proud to wear.”
Stephen Curry signs broad production deal with Sony Pictures
LAS VEGAS — NBA star Stephen Curry is heading to Hollywood in a big way.
Sony Pictures Entertainment announced Monday that it has struck a deal with the Golden State Warriors All-Star guard to produce television, film and possibly gaming projects.
A press release states Curry and the company he has co-founded, Unanimous Media, will have their production headquarters on the Sony backlot in Culver City, California.
The projects developed by Curry’s company will focus on family, faith, and sports themes.
No specific projects were announced Monday, but Curry says in a statement he wants to use the deal “to affect the world positively.”
“Game of Thrones” #MeToo figure take Webby Awards
LOS ANGELES — Lin-Manuel Miranda, “Game of Thrones” and a key figure in the #MeToo movement are among the winners of this year’s Webby Awards.
Miranda won the Webby for public service and social activism for his work raising money for charities assisting Puerto Rico in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria.
Susan Fowler, the former Uber employee whose harassment revelations helped lead to the ouster of the company’s CEO and bolstered the #MeToo movement, was named Webbys person of the year.
The awards, which honor internet excellence, were announced Tuesday and will be presented May 14 at a New York ceremony hosted by comedian Amber Ruffin.
Winners from music include Jay-Z, Katy Perry and Lada Gaga.
“Game of Thrones” won for best overall online presence, and the video game phenomenon Fortnite won for best multiplayer competitive game.
Madonna loses battle to prevent auction of Tupac letter
NEW YORK — Pop star Madonna has lost her battle to prevent an auction of her personal items, including a love letter from her ex-boyfriend, the late rapper Tupac Shakur, a pair of worn panties and a hairbrush containing her hair.
Last year, a judge ordered Gotta Have It! Collectibles to pull the items from its impending rock ‘n’ roll-themed auction after the Material Girl sought an emergency court order.
In a decision revealed Monday, the judge dismissed the case on grounds the statute of limitations to recover the items had passed.
The auction house told The New York Times it had done due diligence on the items and was confident Madonna had no claim.
The company says the auction will be in July.
Starting bid for the Tupac letter is $100,000.
‘Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle’ sequel opens Christmas 2019
The sequel of ‘Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle’ has been handed a release date of Christmas 2019.
The original movie — which starred Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Kevin Hart and Nick Jonas — proved to be a box office smash, and Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group chairman Tom Rothman has confirmed that fans won’t have to wait too long before the sequel arrives in cinemas.
He joked: “I’d bet on seeing Dwayne Johnson in theaters again in December 2019. Don’t rush to give all those screens to ‘Star Wars.’ Come on, fair’s fair.”
‘Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle’ performed impressively at the box office, despite facing stiff competition from ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi.’
Dwayne previously insisted he doesn’t have any fears of the money-spinning sci-fi franchise, having received support from Hollywood icon Mark Hamill, who plays Luke Skywalker in the ‘Star Wars’ movies.
He said: “I had this awesome Twitter exchange where I told Mark Hamill, ‘Best of luck, just leave our little ‘Jumanji’ a little room.’ “He responded that ‘The Force’ is strong with ‘Jumanji.’ You’ll be fine.”
Palace: Prince William to be best man at Harry’s wedding
LONDON — It’s a family affair: Britain’s royal officials say Prince Harry has asked elder brother Prince William to be best man at his wedding next month.
Kensington Palace said Thursday that William is “honored” to be playing the key role when Harry marries U.S. actress Meghan Markle at Windsor Castle on May 19.
Harry was best man when William married Kate Middleton at Westminster Abbey in 2011.
William and his wife, the Duchess of Cambridge, welcomed their third child on Monday. The baby boy’s name hasn’t yet been announced. His elder children, Prince George and Princess Charlotte, are likely to star in key roles during the wedding, though officials haven’t yet announced who will be in the rest of the wedding party.
About 600 guests have been invited to watch 33-year-old Harry and Markle, who is 36, tie the knot at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor. About 2,600 neighbors, staff and specially selected members of the public will get to greet the couple outside the chapel.
— Compiled from
The Tribune Wire Services