Safe holiday reminder when preparing meals
SALT LAKE CITY — Rocky Mountain Power wants to make sure safety is on the menu this holiday season, as kitchen accidents are a leading cause of fires and home injuries.
Keeping an eye on the stove, staying in the home while food is in the oven and keeping children a safe distance away from cooking appliances are paramount in kitchen safety.
In addition, there are a number of electrical safety steps that sometimes can get overlooked but are key in staying safe.
• Don’t fight a grease or electrical fire with water. Smother the fire with a pot lid and always have a fire extinguisher available.
• Don’t overload electrical outlets.
• Do unplug any unused appliances that could accidentally be turned and left on.
• Do replace any appliances with frayed cords to avoid electrical shock.
• Do locate all appliances away from the sink. Remember, water and electricity do not mix.
• Don’t use extension cords with major appliances.
For more information online, visit www.rockymountainpower.net.