Westmoreland high school week ahead: Week of April 16, 2018
Section 2-6A baseball is expected to produce a tight race that lasts late into the season, so every matchup is important. One of those includes Plum (5-3, 1-2) at Penn-Trafford (4-3, 2-1), weather permitting. The teams split their two-game series last season.
• Other top games in the area include Greensburg Salem (4-3, 3-2) at Derry (1-5, 1-4) in Section 1-4A and West Greene (2-2, 2-2) at Greensburg Central Catholic (3-2, 3-0) in Section 2-A.
Class 6A No. 2-ranked Latrobe (5-0) steps out of Section 2 to take on North Allegheny (6-3) in a night road game.
The WPIAL steering committee will release pairings for the team playoffs.
A quality matchup in Section 1-5A has Gateway (3-2, 3-2) visiting Franklin Regional (7-1, 5-0). The teams played April 10, with Franklin Regional winning 8-5.
• Jeannette (2-3) visits Greensburg Central Catholic (0-2), and Norwin (3-2) heads to Mt. Pleasant (5-0) in a pair of local nonsection games.
• Greensburg Salem will play a doubleheader at Armstrong.
Track and field
The top meets on the Section 1-AAA schedule will be Hempfield at Greensburg Salem and Penn-Trafford at Latrobe. East Allegheny visits Derry in Section 4-AA.
Two important Section 3-AAA matches are Hempfield at Latrobe, and Penn-Trafford at Norwin.
Two local teams meet at Spartans Stadium as Penn-Trafford takes on Hempfield.
Night baseball has become a fixture at Latrobe’s Graham-Sobota Field, and the No. 5 Wildcats are scheduled to host Franklin Regional under the lights in Section 3-5A.
• A rematch of last year’s WPIAL Class A championship has No. 2 Greensburg Central Catholic playing at No. 5 Jeannette.
• Rivals Penn-Trafford and Norwin will square off in North Huntingdon in Section 2-6A. Yough goes to Greensburg Salem (1-4A), and Mt. Pleasant makes the short trip to Southmoreland (3-3A).
A key Section 1-5A makeup game in Murrysville matches No. 4 Penn-Trafford (7-1, 7-0) against No. 5 Franklin Regional (7-1, 5-0).
The Section 2-3A match to watch is Hempfield at Norwin. Franklin Regional visits Greensburg Salem in Section 1-2A.
Norwin and Latrobe just played on April 6, but they’ll meet for Round 2 in Section 2-6A.
• Other top games: Franklin Regional at Kiski Area (1-5A) and Plum at Penn-Trafford (1-5A). Greensburg Salem will host Woodland Hills in a doubleheader.
Norwin plays under the lights at Gateway.
Laurel Highlands at Franklin Regional is a notable matchup in Section 3-5A, and Greensburg Central Catholic heads to Monessen and Jeannette faces West Greene in a Section 2-A rematch the Jayhawks have been anticipating.
It is a nonsection game, but it is intriguing: Mt. Pleasant is scheduled to play at Franklin Regional.
Track and field
Some of the top athletes in the WPIAL will compete at the Butler Invitational, one of several larger meets that dot the competitive schedule.
The two-day Roundball Classic all-star event tips off at Geneva in Beaver Falls as the top senior basketball players in Western Pennsylvania showcase their talents.
• There will be three games Friday night: a girls game at 6 p.m. and boys games at 7:30 and 9.
• The games have players from the WPIAL and City League. The second boys game also has a team from District 10 (Erie area).
The game to watch is Yough at Latrobe in a clash of two of the county’s best teams. First pitch is at 2 p.m.
Hempfield hosts Central Catholic in nonsection action at 1.
The Roundball Classic concludes with four games: Girls Class 4A/District 10 vs. Class 3A/2A/A at 2 p.m.; girls Class 5A vs. 6A at 4; boys Class 3A/A vs. 4A at 6; and boys Class 5A vs. 6A at 8.