AP NEWS

Firefighters extinguish blaze at Gering home

April 30, 2019 GMT

Gering and Scottsbluff firefighters battled a blaze at a home early Sunday morning.

Gering Fire Chief Nathan Flowers said that firefighters had a “good knockdown” on the fire, which is suspected to have been caused by a cigarette.

Firefighters responded to the blaze shortly before 2 a.m. after receiving a report of smoke coming out of a home. When firefighters arrived, they observed flames coming out of a bedroom window.

A 56-year-old occupant was transported to Regional West Medical Center, due to medical conditions she suffers.

The Firefighter Ministry has responded to assist the home occupant. The American Red Cross was also contacted.

Flowers said about 18 Gering firefighters responded with five firefighters from Scottsbluff providing mutual aid.