Jamaican hit man charged with two 1993 Bridgeport murders

November 20, 2018 GMT

BRIDGEPORT - A Jamaican hit man, serving a life term in New York for a killing there, was charged Monday with killing two people here in 1993 following arbitrary disputes.

Howard Brown, 46, was brought to Superior Court here from the Sing Sing maximum security prison in New York.

He was charged with two counts of murder and one count of second-degree assault and was ordered held in lieu of $2 million bond by Judge Tracy Lee Dayton.

“We have been working with New York authorities for some time to get him back here so that we could arrest him,” said Police Capt. Brian Fitzgerald. “We get them eventually.”


Stafford Angus had just ordered a sandwich at the Subway on downtown Main Street on the evening of Sept. 5, 1993 when another customer, a tall, lanky man in a hooded sweatshirt, accused Angus of cutting in front of him.

Police said the two men got into an argument and the then-unidentified man walked off, perhaps after seeing a police officer nearby.

The following day Angus was having a meal with a friend in the Sugar and Spice Restaurant on Main Street when the hooded man walked in. Police said the man stood on front of Angus, pulled out a gun and drilled the hapless victim in the abdomen as horrified patrons ran for the door.

Police said witnesses identified the shooter on as a man known on the street as “Malcolm.”

On Oct. 30, 1993, Fernando Capella and some friends had been playing an arcade-style video game in a small grocery store at the corner of Pequonnock Street and Calhoun Avenue. They then went outside and ended up getting in an egg-throwing fight with some friends in a passing van.

An errant egg thrown by Capella hit “Malcolm” as he was leaving the store.

Police said “Malcolm” pulled out a gun and shot Capella in the head and another man in the right wrist.

With the aid of the FBI, police said they were later able to identify “Malcolm” as Howard. But by that time Howard was serving a 31-year to life prison term in New York for second-degree murder, second-degree assault and weapons charges.

Howard was convicted of fatally shooting a man in Brooklyn, N.Y., in 1991, according to court papers. He was found guilty despite the fact that the key witness against him was fatally shot prior to trial.