New historic structure in Needles
NEEDLES — Whether or not it is, as is claimed, haunted; the hulking green house on the corner of North K and Needles Highway is now officially an historic structure.
A quorum of Needles City Council acted to designate the building, the street number of which adds up to 13, during a May 30 meeting. Mayor Ed Paget M.D., the owner of the house, recused himself and left the room during the brief deliberations; Council Member Shawn Gudmundson presided in the absence of Vice Mayor Jeff Williams; council members
Tona Belt, Clayton Hazlewood, Louise Evans and Robert Richardson, M.D., voted for the measure.
Few would deny the house has a history. Linda Fitzpatrick of the Needles Historic Committee submitted a report of criteria that contains at least a portion:
• Known as ‘The House at the end of Dead Dog Road’ it operated as a center of entertainment throughout the Roaring 20s and Prohibition era.
• Between 1914 and 1947 the house acquired a “notable reputation” as a brothel, gambling room, speak-easy and haunted house.
• There are a number of stories about the history of tunnels connected to the house; among them that they were used to transport Chinese workers after WWII.
It was reported the house was built between 1910 and 1914 by owner Claude Burton Tryon and wife Anna, employing a technique used by the Fort Mojave Indian Tribe: “Reported not to contain any nails or metal but rather walls built with arrowweed rods then covered with plaster.”
The house at 517 North K Street now hosts a community haunted house event during the Halloween season.