Click to copy
Click to copy

No batteries in carbon monoxide alarm in home deaths

February 1, 2019

LYMAN, N.H. (AP) — New Hampshire authorities investigating the carbon monoxide poisoning deaths of a man and woman say an alarm to detect the gas was found inside their home, but had no batteries.

State police responded to the home in Lyman on Tuesday. They found 71-year-old John Courtney and 63-year-old April Courtney dead, along with several cats and dogs.

The New Hampshire Medical Examiner’s Office said the cause of death was accidental due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

State Fire Marshal Paul Parisi asks that residents take time to ensure they have working carbon monoxide alarms in their homes and test them monthly. It’s recommended that the alarm batteries be changed during daylight saving time, in addition to times when the alarm starts chirping, a sign the battery is dying.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.