Day in History: Senior trip to Washington planned
1994 – 25 years ago
• At the Canadian Honker Restaurant, the Joe Powers corned beef and cabbage is $6.95. Mary Moffit’s spare ribs and cabbage is $7.95.
The luncheon specials at Michaels include a seafood basil fettucine for $6.95 or a herbed Atlantic halibut for $6.50.
1969 – 50 years ago
• A groundbreaking ceremony was held today for a movie theater to be constructed at Apache Mall Shopping Center this summer. The theater will be a free-standing structure and will seat about 800 patrons.
• City high school students are preparing to set off on their annual journey to the nation’s capital, which will begin March 29 and continue until April 3. The trip for seniors at Lourdes, John Marshall and Mayo high schools is being arranged by World Travel Bureau and cost $150.
1944 – 75 years ago
• The Rochester squadron of the civil air patrol will conduct its first meeting at the armory. J. W. Feller will be commanding officer of the new group.
• Claude McQuillan is a candidate for alderman of the Third Ward. His name will not appear on your ballot, so voters must write his name on the blank space below the other two candidates and put an x before his name.
1919 – 100 years ago
• The first of the Lenten series of sermons in Calvary church will be given tomorrow. The subject will be “Creed, Critics and Character,” a study of the human soul.
• The Queen City Dairy is now equipped with one of the finest looking trucks seen in this area in a long time. It is a beautiful Wilcox Truck.
• For sale: Victoria record cabinet with 14 good records along with a buffalo robe. Call Mrs. John Rowley.
From news services
Ten years ago
President Barack Obama lifted George W. Bush-era limits on using federal dollars for embryonic stem cell research.
Five years ago
The search continued for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, a Boeing 777 that had gone missing the day before while over the South China Sea with 239 people on board. (The plane was never found.)
One year ago
A combat veteran who’d been expelled from a treatment program at a California veterans home fatally shot three mental health workers there before taking his own life. Weeks after the shooting that left 17 people dead at a Florida high school, Gov. Rick Scott signed a school-safety bill that included new restrictions on guns, prompting a lawsuit from the National Rifle Association; the bill raised to 21 the minimum age to buy rifles and created a program enabling some teachers and other school employees to carry guns. Martin Shkreli, the former pharmaceutical CEO who’d been vilified for jacking up the price of a lifesaving drug, was sentenced in New York to seven years in prison for securities fraud. A Kentucky neighbor of U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, Rene Boucher, pleaded guilty to a federal charge for tackling the lawmaker in an attack his attorney said was triggered by a dispute over lawn maintenance; Boucher served a 30-day prison sentence.
Former Sen. James L. Buckley, Conservative-N.Y., is 96. Singer Lloyd Price is 86. Actress Joyce Van Patten is 85. Country singer Mickey Gilley is 83. Actress Trish Van Devere is 78. Singer-musician John Cale (The Velvet Underground) is 77. Singer Mark Lindsay (Paul Revere and the Raiders) is 77. Former ABC anchorman Charles Gibson is 76. Rock musician Robin Trower is 74. Singer Jeffrey Osborne is 71. Country musician Jimmie Fadden (The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band) is 71. Actress Jaime Lyn Bauer is 70. Magazine editor Michael Kinsley is 68. TV newscaster Faith Daniels is 62. Actress Linda Fiorentino is 61. Actor Tom Amandes is 60. Actor-director Lonny Price is 60. Country musician Rusty Hendrix (Confederate Railroad) is 59. Actress Juliette Binoche is 55. Rock musician Robert Sledge (Ben Folds Five) is 51. Rock musician Shannon Leto (30 Seconds to Mars) is 49. Rapper C-Murder (AKA C-Miller) is 48. Actor Emmanuel Lewis is 48. Actress Jean Louisa Kelly is 47. Actor Kerr Smith is 47. Actor Oscar Isaac is 40. Comedian Jordan Klepper (TV: “The Daily Show”) is 40. Rapper Chingy is 39. Actor Matthew Gray Gubler is 39. Rock musician Chad Gilbert (New Found Glory) is 38. Roots rock musician Ben Tanner (Alabama Shakes) is 36. Actress Brittany Snow is 33. Rapper Bow Wow is 32. Rapper YG is 29. Actor Luis Armand Garcia is 27. Actress Cierra Ramirez is 24.