MCAS students place at VU science fair
VALPARAISO — Valparaiso University hosted for the 11th consecutive year The Northwestern Indiana Science and Engineering Fair, which is in its 64th year.
Students from Porter, Lake, La Porte, Starke, Jasper, Newton and Pulaski counties competed in this regional fair as individuals or in teams. The fair took place in March.
The top senior division (high school) winners, the senior division team project winner and the top junior division (middle school) winners received invitations to compete in the Hoosier Science and Engineering Fair taking place on April 1 at IUPUI in Indianapolis sponsored by the Science Education Foundation of Indiana (SEFI).
In addition, the senior division finalists and their faculty sponsors qualified for all-expenses-paid trips to the International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF). Sponsored by Intel, the ISEF will be held in Los Angeles, California, May 14–19.
Barker Middle School Competitors were:
• Canyon Richardson, 7th grade, “How Do You Fuel?”
• Arnica Sheaffer, seventh grade, “Total Recall”
• Riley Steinhiser, seventh grade, “Blast Off”
• Nathan Antisdel, eighth grade, “Dirty Electricity”
Michigan City High School Competitors were:
• Nicole Pomeroy, 12th grade, “Output Efficiency of an Electrical Generator”
• Emily Samuelson, 10th grade, & Andrew Samuelson, 12th grade, “ How Do Carbon Dioxide Levels in Exhaled Air Change Before and After Physical Exercise?”
Awards winners were:
Junior Division Physical Science, Mathematics, and Computer Science
• US Navy/US Marine Corps Award for Outstanding Project, Canyon Richardson.
Junior Division Biological and Life Sciences
• US Air Force Award for Outstanding Project, Nathan Antisdel.
• Honorable Mention, Nathan Antisdel.
• Most Promising Young Scholar Award, Arnica Sheaffer.
• 3rd Place, Arnica Sheaffer.
Senior Division Physical Science, Mathematics, and Computer Science
• ASU Walton Sustainability Solutions Initiatives Award, Nicole Pomeroy.
• Instrumentation & Automation Technology Award, Nicole Pomeroy.
• 3rd Place, Nicole Pomeroy.
Pomeroy advanced to the Hoosier Science & Engineering Fair at IUPUI in Indianapolis on April 1, her seventh year in a row competing at the state level.