The Latest: Pence calls report on Trump affair “baseless”
JERUSALEM (AP) — The Latest on Vice President Mike Pence’s interview with The Associated Press (all times local):
Vice President Mike Pence says reports that an adult film star had an alleged affair with President Donald Trump are “baseless allegations.”
Pence spoke to The Associated Press during a visit to Jerusalem on Monday. He said he was “not going to comment on the latest baseless allegations against the president.”
The Wall Street Journal reported that Trump’s personal lawyer brokered a payment to pornographic actress Stormy Daniels in October 2016 to prohibit her from publicly discussing the alleged affair before the presidential election.
Daniels’ real name is Stephanie Clifford. Trump’s attorney, Michael Cohen, has denied there was any relationship. He gave the Journal a statement from “Stormy Daniels” denying receiving “hush money.”
The AP reported that a tabloid magazine held back from publishing her 2011 account of the alleged affair after Cohen threatened to sue.
Vice President Mike Pence is defending President Donald Trump on the president’s disparaging comments about immigrants from Africa and Haiti.
Pence tells The Associated Press in an interview in Jerusalem that he “knows the president’s heart.” He says Trump is determined to implement a merit-based system that encourages immigration by those who will “contribute to a growing American economy and thriving communities” and one that does not take into account the immigrants’ “race or creed.”
Pence made the comments during an interview Monday while on a four-day tour of the Middle East.
He was responding to reports that Trump last week in a private meeting made vulgar and disparaging remarks about immigration from countries in Africa and Haiti and said the U.S. should welcome more immigration from countries like Norway.