Death toll in east Ukraine mine blast reaches 33
Mar. 05, 2015
DONETSK, Ukraine (AP) — Officials in a separatist rebel-held city in east Ukraine say the death toll from an accidental explosion at a coal mine has risen to 33.
Alexei Kostrubitsky, head of the emergencies ministry for the rebel government, said late Thursday the last missing miner had been found dead.
The blast occurred before dawn Wednesday more than 1,000 meters (3,200 feet) underground at the Zasyadko mine in Donetsk city. It is the largest city held by the separatist rebels who have been fighting Ukrainian forces since April.
Rebel officials said the accident was caused by methane gas.
Zasyadko mine has a history of deadly accidents, including one in November 2007 that killed 101 workers, and two more the following month that killed a total of 57.