Report: 1 city employee died, 1 injured after removing masks

July 20, 2016

WICHITA FALLS, Texas (AP) — An internal investigation has found that one worker for the city of Wichita Falls died and another was injured earlier this month after they, for unknown reasons, removed their breathing masks near poisonous gas.

The Wichita Falls Times Record News (http://bit.ly/29LxUq7 ) reports the city on Friday released the findings of its probe into the July 2 incident.

Daniel Arredondo died after being exposed to hydrogen sulfide gas while conducting valve maintenance at a wastewater treatment plant. The worker who was injured remains hospitalized.

The report says the men inhaled lethal volumes of the gas when they removed their breathing masks and air tanks.

The report does note it was considered unusual for there to be hazardous levels of the gas in the area where the employees were working.


Information from: Wichita Falls Times Record News, http://www.timesrecordnews.com