Teal Bunbury goal lifts Revolution over Whitecaps

August 13, 2017 GMT

FOXBORO — Home cooking continued to be the magic elixir for the Revolution, who rode a second-half goal by forward Teal Bunbury to a 1-0 victory against the Vancouver Whitecaps FC before a Gillette Stadium crowd of 19,911 last night.

The Revs (8-10-5) had to endure six minutes of stoppage time before the win was entered into the record book as keeper Cody Cropper provided a timely punchout of a shot to cement matters.

The victory was the Revolution’s third straight at home and upped their Gillette record to 8-2-2.

The Revs had an early advance deep into Vancouver territory, but a pass to the front by Je-Vaughn Watson landed on top of the Whitecaps cage.

Later, the Revs’ sizzling Kei Kamara, who netted four goals in his previous three games, threaded his way past a maze of Vancouver defenders but sent his 17-foot shot sailing wide right in the 16th minute. The next chance for the hosts came when forward Bunbury sent a 12-foot shot into traffic that Whitecaps keeper Stefan Marinovic scoped in the 22nd minute.

Vancouver (9-9-4) lost a starter when Matias Laba hurt his right knee in the 29th minute. Laba valiantly tried to stay in the game but was replaced by midfielder Andrew Jacobson. It didn’t take long for Jacobson to make his mark as he picked up a yellow card for a hard play on Revs midfielder Gershon Koffie in the 40th minute.

A handball was called against Vancouver defender Kendall Watson in the 45th minute and Lee Nguyen lined up to take the free kick. Instead, Diego Fagundez raced in from the side and tried to curl the ball over the wall of Whitecaps defenders. The shot was blocked.

Nguyen drew a subsequent yellow card for a tackle on Vancouver’s Cristian Techera, who recovered enough to attempt the free kick. His long blast was way wide and the game was scoreless at halftime.

Momentum swung the Revolution’s way early in the second half. Watson inadvertently clipped Whitecaps keeper Marinovic in the face as he went for a ball in the 51st minute. Marinovic was attended to for more than a minute but stayed in the game.

Suddenly, a long pass by Revs midfielder Kelyn Rowe was re-directed in stride by Bunbury off his right foot into the net in the 53rd minute to hand the home team a 1-0 lead. It was Bunbury’s fourth goal of the season.

Bunbury was replaced in the 65th minute by forward Juan Agudelo, who helped the U.S. national team to a Gold Cup title last month. Agudelo has eight goals for the Revs, tied for the team lead with Nguyen and Kamara.

Video review, which was officially sanctioned for regular-season games by MLS last week, made its Gillette soccer debut in the 65th minute when referee Ismail Elfath ducked under the hood to check and see if the Revs should be awarded a penalty kick. No PK was granted.

Watson was assessed a yellow card in the 69th minute, and on the Vancouver free kick, Techera placed his left-footed attempt directly off the crossbar.

Neither of the Revolution’s newest additions were in uniform last night. The debuts of French defender Claude Dielna and Hungarian forward Krisztian Nemeth are expected to come Aug. 20, at New York City FC at the earliest.