AP NEWS
Related topics

Fire destroys structure in Elk LickTownship

April 28, 2019 GMT

A fire Saturday afternoon destroyed a building near a home at 132 Coal Run Road, Elk Lick Township.

Brandi Bender said the fire started in an outdoor wood stove and the detached garage was destroyed. Firefighters were quick enough to save Brandi and Keith Bender’s home, although the siding nearest the fire was melted.

“We’re very blessed for the support and help,” she said. “And the promptness of the firefighters saved our house.”

No animals or people were injured with the exception of minor burns to Keith Bender after he tried to save some items from the garage.

Salisbury fire Chief Dan Haines said that the high winds Saturday contributed to the spread of the fire, but firefighters were able to extinguish the flames quickly.

The fire broke out around 11:45 a.m. and firefighters from Salisbury, Meyersdale and Grantsville, Maryland, had the blaze out about an hour later.