Day in History: Second war loan drive ends
1993 – 25 years ago
• Pine Island coach Willie Rauen has been named Coach of the Year in Class B by the Minnesota Football Coaches Association. Kasson-Mantorville’s Steve DeBois has been presented the Butch Nash award for the state’s top assistant coach.
• The Senate Finance Committee approved $700,000 for the Rochester University Center as part of a $119 million bonding bill.
1968 – 50 years ago
• Dr. David Welte, Rochester optometrist, was elected chairman of the Olmsted County Chapter of the March of Dimes.
Keith Kor of the Mayo High B baseball team hurled a no-hitter in an 11-1 victory over Kasson-Mantorville at Mayo High field.
1943 – 75 years ago
• The Second War Loan drive officially ended with Rochester and Olmsted County approximately 27 percent over quota. Total sales in the city and county stood at $1,779,639.
1918 – 100 years ago
• Dr. John Abbott, formerly with the Mayo Clinic, is believed to be a prisoner of war in Germany.