Related topics

4 taken to Grand Forks hospital for chorine gas exposure

February 23, 2019

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) — Authorities say four people were taken to a hospital after being exposed to chlorine gas in a Grand Forks home.

Firefighters were called to the home before 9 p.m. Friday after the homeowner poured bleach into a plugged basement floor drain. The bleach reacted with a sulfuric acid drain cleaner creating chlorine gas.

Officials say the four residents in the home were taken by ambulance to Altru Hospital for evaluation. No further information on their conditions was available.

Hazmat crews cleared and flushed the drain with a large quantity of water and ventilated chlorine vapors from the home.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.