Initial autopsy report from Marysville shooting states suspect died of ‘multiple gunshot wounds’

April 11, 2018 GMT

An autopsy report for a man killed Friday by law enforcement officers said he died of “multiple gunshot wounds,” according to the Yuba County Sheriff’s Office. They were not more specific about the number of shots.

Jonathan Erick Alexander, 26, was killed in Marysville following a high-speed chase starting in Wheatland and after he drew a gun and fired shots, wounding a police dog.

Information on how many times he was wounded and where will be available once a written autopsy is fully completed, said Leslie Carbah, spokeswoman for the Yuba County Sheriff’s Office.

Carbah said the investigation into the officer-involved shooting remains active. The sheriff’s office and Marysville Police Department – which both placed personnel on paid administrative leave following the shooting – are conducting an administrative investigation to make sure “policies and procedures” were followed correctly, she said.

An official investigation into the shooting is being carried out by an independent party – the Yuba-Sutter Officer-Involved Shooting Investigation Team – which is comprised of personnel from local district attorney offices, as well as law enforcement agencies in Sutter County. The California Department of Justice is assisting with the investigation.

“The investigation is in its early stages at this time, with continued interviews and processing of evidence underway,” Carbah said in a press release.

Alexander, in the early morning hours of April 6, was initially stopped by a Wheatland Police officer. The officer reportedly smelled alcohol coming from the vehicle as he approached. After providing his identification, Alexander reportedly fled the scene. Alexander’s vehicle made it all the way to Marysville, and crossed spike strips, before coming to a stop at an intersection downtown.

After failing to abide by commands by law enforcement, a Yuba County Sheriff’s deputy released a dog into the vehicle to force the suspect out. However, Alexander allegedly shot the dog in the neck, prompting officers to fire back.

Alexander was pronounced dead at the scene.

According to court records, Alexander was arrested in 2015 and charged with two counts of DUI and one count of reckless driving in Butte County. He pleaded no contest to reckless driving later that year and the other charges were dismissed.

The police dog was treated at a local veterinary hospital and released over the weekend. The canine is expected to make a full recovery.