AP NEWS

Man dies in mobile home fire near St. Regis

October 30, 2019

MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) — Officials in Mineral County say a 71-year-old man died in a mobile home fire in a trailer park just outside of St. Regis.

Jerry Dockter, chief of the St. Regis Volunteer Fire Department, told the Missoulian a faulty propane water heater is believed to have caused the Monday morning fire.

The sheriff’s office on Wednesday identified the victim as Ronald Dean Sammons.

Dockter says a neighbor who was a caretaker for Sammons saw smoke coming from his trailer at about 8 a.m. but was unable to go inside to rescue him due to the fire and smoke.

The mobile home was gutted. Sammons was its only occupant.

___

Information from: Missoulian, http://www.missoulian.com