Related topics

Mass.-Lowell 6, Michigan St. 2

March 24, 1996

EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) _ Defenseman Dave Barozzino scored three goals and Brendan Concannon made up for a missed penalty shot early in the game with a goal and two assists Saturday to lead Massachusetts-Lowell to a 6-2 victory over Michigan State in an NCAA West Regional first-round game.

The River Hawks will meet top seed Colorado College in a second-round game Sunday.

River Hawks goalie Martin Fillion made 37 saves. He was at his best in the first period when he stopped all 15 shots, including glove saves on Richard Keyes and Jeff Kozakowski.

Lowell opened the scoring at 7:12 of the first period on a power-play goal by Jeff Daw. Neil Donovan made a centering pass from behind the net to Daw, who one-timed a shot from the near slot.

Barozzino made it 2-0 with 3:03 left in the first period. Concannon dug the puck off the boards and passed to Barozzino, who picked it up on the move and beat goalie Chad Alban low on the stick side.

A backhand shot to the far corner of the net by Marc Salsman gave the River Hawks a 3-0 lead at 6:52 of the second period and they made it 4-0 when Concannon scored shorthanded at 11:30.

Michigan State’s Brian Crane fanned on a shot at the blue line and Christian Sbrocca broke in alone on Alban, who made the save, but Concannon lifted the rebound over the fallen goalie.

The Spartans spoiled Fillion’s shutout bid with 1:08 left in the second period on a power-play goal by Sean Berens, who lifted a rebound over the netminder.

Barozzino scored his second goal of the game 33 seconds into the third period. Alban fell when he locked skates with a Lowell player and Barozzino picked up the loose puck and buried it in the vacant net.

The Spartans cut the lead to 5-2 at 2:28 on a soft shot by Mark Loeding that caromed in off the goalpost. Barozzino completed the scoring and his first career hat trick at 17:42.

Concannon was awarded a penalty shot at 5:26 of the first period when the officials ruled that the Spartans’ Steve Ferranti had deliberately knocked the net off the post during a goalmouth scramble. Concannon lost control of the puck between the hash marks and it slid weakly to Alban, who made the save.