Report: Killings Still Continue Two Years After Rwanda Genocide
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) _ Ephrem Namuhoranye survived the slaughter of a half-million fellow Tutsis when Hutu gangs went on a genocidal rampage in Rwanda in 1994.
Last month, Hutu extremists caught up with him and slit his throat.
Two years after the massacre began, Hutu extremists are still killing and intimidating survivors and witnesses, a human rights group said Wednesday.
A report released by Africa Rights just before the two-year anniversary of the genocide describes the murders of 25 Tutsis who had survived the massacre.
Namuhoranye’s daughter recounted how she hid in a bush and saw her father killed March 15.
``They took my father outside, hitting him all the while,″ 17-year-old Marie Gorette Murehatate told human rights investigators. ``They shot him in the chest and slit his throat with a sword.
``They got in once more to kill my mother. They shot her. They thought she was dead. They left saying, `We have achieved our aim.‴ Murehatate’s mother survived.
In their 91-page report, ``Killing the Evidence,″ the London-based Africa Rights said ``most of those who perpetrated the genocide are still at large, in Rwanda or in neighboring countries, and have not changed their agenda.″
The report also describes nine attempted murders, including an attack on a Hutu who witnessed the slaughter of Tutsis.
In February, a group of Hutu militiamen surrounded the home of Winniphrida Nyandwi in southwestern Rwanda.
``Hearing their voices, I knew my time had come,″ Nyandwi told investigators. ``I put on my Sunday best so that I would die respectably.″ She was attacked, but survived.
Also Wednesday, the prosecutor of the U.N. tribunal in charge of investigating the carnage in Rwanda appealed to the international community for assistance.
Richard Goldstone said the tribunal is suffering from a shortage of investigators, interpreters and analysts able to make sense of the findings.
Several countries, including Cameroon, Zambia, Belgium and Switzerland, have arrested more than a dozen people suspected of war crimes in connection with the deaths of Tutsis and some moderate Hutus.
But because of inadequate resources, the tribunal has been unable to take further action, Goldstone said in a statement.
The slaughter in Rwanda began after the Hutu president’s plane crashed in mysterious circumstances on April 6, 1994.
The massacres continued for three months until the rebel army of the Tutsi-led Rwandan Patriotic Front captured the capital, Kigali.
Two million Hutus fled to refugee camps in neighboring countries after the genocide, fearing retaliation. At least 1.7 million remain in exile, where Hutu leaders continue to incite against the Tutsis.