Day in History: Lake Florence down the drain
1994 – 25 years ago
• The Stewartville City Council reluctantly agreed to pull the plug on Lake Florence. The lake was built more than 130 years ago by damming the Root River and has been a part of the city’s history since then. The city could not afford the $2.8 million cost to tear out what was left of the old dam and build a new one.
• Hayfield’s Dave Erickson will coach the Minnesota High School All-Star wrestling team against the Wisconsin All-Star team. The competitions will be held March 12 and 13.
1969 – 50 years ago
• The 1934 class of Rochester High School will hold its 35th reunion. Plans include a luncheon, dinner, dance and sites for various activities. There were 219 members of the class.
• The Rochester School Board approved hiring a city firm to be architect for the new Meadow Park Elementary School. Completion for the site at the south edge of the old airport is scheduled for the fall of 1970.
1944 – 75 years ago
• Mert Herrick, classy Rochester welterweight, received one of amateur boxing’s highest awards in Chicago. Herrick was named winner of the famed Barney Ross sportsmanship trophy in connection with the Tournament of Champions event held at the Windy City stadium.
• Four Rochester wrestlers qualified for the state high school wrestling tournament in Minneapolis. They are Morris Patten, Harold Devries, John Music and William Gillis.
1919 – 100 years ago
• Public health nurses are now legal. An act authorizing city and village councils and town boards to employ public health nurses was passed by both houses of the Legislature at the 41st session.
• Two hundred Minnesota boys will have an opportunity to be trained in farm work at the University of Minnesota Farm School in April. The boys attending this course will receive instruction in care of animals, garden cultivation, and field work.
From news services
Ten years ago
President Barack Obama hosted a White House summit where he pumped allies and skeptics alike for ways to overhaul the nation’s costly and frustrating health care system. As thousands demonstrated outside, California Supreme Court justices listened to legal arguments over the passage of Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriage. NATO agreed, after intense internal debate, to restore normal relations with Russia seven months after it had frozen ties in response to Moscow’s invasion of Georgia.
Five years ago
President Barack Obama’s choice to lead the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division, Debo Adegbile (DAY’-boh uh-DAYG’-bih-lay), was blocked by bipartisan Senate opposition over his legal work at the NAACP Legal Defense Fund on behalf of Mumia Abu-Jamal, who’s serving life in prison in the 1981 shooting death of Philadelphia police officer Daniel Faulkner. The former Internal Revenue Service official at the heart of the controversy over the agency’s targeting of conservative groups, Lois Lerner, once again refused to answer questions at a House hearing.
One year ago
House Speaker Paul Ryan and other Republican allies of President Donald Trump pleaded with him to back away from his threatened tariffs, but Trump responded, “We’re not backing down.” Los Angeles police arrested Terry Bryant, 47, on charges that he stole Frances McDormand’s Oscar trophy after the Academy Awards a night earlier; the award was returned to the actress. The Nielsen company announced that the Academy Awards viewership had plunged to a record low of 26.5 million, down 20 percent from a year earlier. Longtime Republican Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi said he would resign because of health problems. (Cindy Hyde-Smith was appointed to succeed Cochran until a November special election, which she won.)
Today’s birthdays: Actor Paul Sand is 87. Actor James B. Sikking is 85. Actor Dean Stockwell is 83. Actor Fred Williamson is 81. Actress Samantha Eggar is 80. Actor Michael Warren is 73. Actor Eddie Hodges is 72. Singer Eddy Grant is 71. Rock musician Alan Clark (Dire Straits) is 67. Actress-comedian Marsha Warfield is 65. Magician Penn Jillette is 64. Actress Adriana Barraza is 63. Actress Talia Balsam is 60. Rock singers Charlie and Craig Reid (The Proclaimers) are 57. Pro Football Hall of Famer Michael Irvin is 53. Actor Paul Blackthorne is 50. Rock musician John Frusciante is 49. Singer Rome is 49. Actor Kevin Connolly is 45. Actress Eva Mendes is 45. Actress Jill Ritchie is 45. Actress Jolene Blalock is 44. Model Niki Taylor is 44. Actress Kimberly McCullough is 41. Actress Karolina Wydra is 38. Singer-songwriter Amanda Shires is 37. Actress Dominique McElligott is 33. Actor Sterling Knight is 30. Actor Jake Lloyd is 30. Actor Micah Fowler is 21.