RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The NCAA has granted additional eligibility for a North Carolina player who missed most of the 2016 season amid charges of sexual battery and assault on a female student.
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina has reinstated suspended football player Allen Artis after misdemeanor charges against him for sexual battery and assault on a female student were dismissed.
Athletic director Bubba Cunningham announced the decision in a statement Thursday.
Artis was indefinitely suspended from the team last fall following his arrest tied to a February 2016 encounter. Artis had said the two had consensual sex and denied wrongdoing.
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) — Charges have been dismissed against a North Carolina football player for misdemeanor sexual battery and assault on a female student.
Allen Artis was charged in September and attorneys on both sides said last week they were preparing to go to trial in July. Instead, Orange County district attorney Jim Woodall signed a document Thursday allowing for the dismissal of the charges because "the matter has been resolved to the satisfaction of the parties."
HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina football player charged with misdemeanor sexual battery and assault on a female student is scheduled to go on trial next month, though his attorney said the case has already "gone on too long."
Allen Artis appeared Friday for a brief court hearing addressing pretrial motions, though that came only after attorneys for both sides spent 3½ hours meeting with the judge outside the courtroom.
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) — Lawyers say the University of North Carolina has determined a football player charged with sexual battery didn't violate campus policy in his contact with a female student.
Attorneys for Allen Artis and his accuser said Thursday that university officials found no violation of campus policy. A misconduct decision against Artis could have led to his expulsion. The school declined comment.
HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina football player charged with misdemeanor sexual battery and assault on a fellow student is scheduled for trial in December.
During a brief court hearing Thursday morning, attorneys reserved the weeks of Dec. 5 and Dec. 12 for the case against Allen Artis, a junior reserve linebacker suspended indefinitely from the team.
Afterward, Artis' attorneys told reporters they would continue to fight the case and were concerned about damage to his reputation.
DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina football player facing charges of sexual battery and assault on a fellow student says the two had consensual sex and that he neither raped nor drugged her.
In his first public comments on the allegations, Allen Artis said Tuesday he isn't a rapist and that he is eager to get the case behind him. One of his attorneys, Kerry Sutton, said Artis has passed a polygraph test about the February encounter.
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A magistrate issued an arrest warrant Tuesday for a North Carolina football player accused of sexual battery and assault on a female student in February.
The warrant charges Allen Artis, a 21-year-old junior linebacker From Marietta, Georgia, with two misdemeanors and says he had sex with the woman against her will when he "should have reasonably known that the other person was mentally incapacitated and physically helpless."
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A magistrate has issued an arrest warrant for a North Carolina football player accused of sexual battery and assault on a female in February.
The warrant issued Tuesday accuses Allen Artis, a 21-year-old junior linebacker from Marietta, Georgia, of two misdemeanors against UNC-Chapel Hill sophomore Delaney Robinson. The warrant says he had sex with her while she was "mentally incapacitated and physically helpless."