1 confirmed dead and 3 unaccounted for after large portion of a hotel under construction in New Orleans collapses
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — 1 confirmed dead and 3 unaccounted for after large portion of a hotel under construction in New Orleans collapses.
ATTELBORO, Mass. (AP) — It used to be that municipal and government buildings were designed and constructed with a sense of magisterial pride, with shapes and materials expressing the values of democracy in stone.
With their Colonial brick facades and columns outside and wide hallways and high ceilings inside, they seemed to invite citizen participation. Marble stairways and granite foundations conveyed the conviction of permanence.
HOUSTON (AP) — Officials in a Texas county devastated by Hurricane Harvey approved new regulations Tuesday on building construction in flood-prone locations, rules they touted as the nation's toughest for a major metropolitan area.
The rules taking effect Jan. 1 in unincorporated parts of Harris County will increase the required elevation for new homes and other structures to avoid floodwaters. Some new structures could be elevated up to 8 feet higher than current regulations require.
MENLO PARK, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say work has halted at a Facebook building under construction in California after an equipment failure caused part of the structure to collapse, injuring two workers.
NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — Norfolk is seeing a burst of residential building construction.
The Virginian-Pilot reports that (http://bit.ly/2leBgpz ) 1,435 new dwelling units received residential building permits in 2016. Officials say that's the most since at least 2000, which is as far back as staff members have looked.
The average amount of residential building permits handed out over the last five years was 824.
- Business WireJanuary Construction Starts Rise 2 PercentFebruary 22, 2019
- Business WireUnited States Construction Industry Databook 2014-2019 & 2023 by Residential, Commercial, Industrial, Institutional and Infrastructure Construction - ResearchAndMarkets.comFebruary 5, 2019
- BusinessWireNew Construction Starts in December Decline 10 Percent; Annual Total for 2018 Edges Up 0.3 Percent to $789.0 BillionJanuary 24, 2019
- BusinessWireOctober Construction Starts Soar 21 PercentNovember 20, 2018
- BusinessWireGlobal Advanced Carbon Materials Market Analysis, Growth, Trends & Forecasts 2018-2023, With an Expected CAGR of 7.34% - ResearchAndMarkets.comMay 23, 2018