Former FIFA vice president Chung wins appeal at CAS
LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — Former FIFA vice president Chung Mong-joon has won his appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport to be allowed to work again in soccer.
The court says it reduced the South Korean official's five-year sanction for "improper lobbying" during the 2022 World Cup bidding process, and not fully cooperating in a subsequent investigation of all candidates, to 15 months.
CAS says Chung's ban effectively expired last month.
Former FIFA VP Chung testifies in appeal against 5-year ban
LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — Former FIFA vice president Chung Mong-joon has testified at the Court of Arbitration for Sport to challenge his five-year ban for failing to cooperate with ethics investigators.
The court says a verdict is expected in several weeks.
Former FIFA VP Chung gets date to appeal 5-year ban at CAS
LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — Former FIFA vice president Chung Mong-joon's appeal against a five-year ban by FIFA will be heard on Nov. 14.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport confirmed the date on Monday. A verdict is likely weeks later.
Chung planned to run in the FIFA presidential election to succeed Sepp Blatter when the FIFA ethics committee announced in 2015 it was investigating him.
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Chung Mong-joon's bid to replace Sepp Blatter as FIFA president may have ended prematurely in 2015, but the South Korean has vowed to continue the fight against what he called Blatter's continuing influence at soccer's governing body.
Chung said Thursday at a media conference that he would appeal a six-year ban, later reduced to five years, to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.