GOSHEN, Indiana (AP) — The sermon had been preached, the last prayers offered. Now, Mike Yoder decided, the time had come to share unsettling news.
Centro de detención de inmigrantes, una encrucijada
GOSHEN, Indiana, EE.UU. (AP) — Ya había terminado el sermón y la gente había rezado. Mike Yoder decidió que había llegado la hora de dar una noticia inquietante.
- UN: Caravan susceptible to humanitarian crisis
- As Trump cuts refugees, Buffalo feels the pinch
- Oregon Sikh temple welcomes imprisoned migrants
- Migrants force through fence at Mexican border
- Trump: Midterms about Kavanaugh and caravan
- Mother, child risk lives to flee Venezuela on foot
- Stormy Daniels' Atty Seeks Boy's Custody Release
- ICE Raids Businesses In Nebraska and Minnesota
- Ivanka Trump: Separation of Families a Low Point
- Deportations Take Toll on Mixed-Status Families
- Immigrant Families Being Reunited
- Immigrant Couple Speaks After ICE Detention
AP Photos: No going home for Hondurans deported to brutality
TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras (AP) — They cannot go home again.
For many Honduran deportees, home means a return to the brutality that sent them fleeing north in the first place.
In the neighborhoods where they grew up, corpses are dumped unceremoniously at construction sites, and carted off in body bags like loads of potatoes. Heavily armed police patrol from the back of pickup trucks, stopping to frisk pedestrians for weapons, drugs or other signs they belong to gangs.
BOCA DEL RÍO, Mexico (AP) — It's almost as if Letty Stegall is there, back home in the United States, beside her daughter to prod her awake for school. When her husband goes to the grocery store, she fusses over the list with him. At the bar she helped run, she still gives regulars a warm welcome, and around the dinner table at night, she beams when she sees what her family managed to cook.
Deportations Take Toll on Mixed-Status Families
BOCA DEL RÍO, México (AP) — Es como si Letty Stegall estuviese allí, en su casa de Estados Unidos, junto a su hija, alentándola para que complete sus tareas escolares. Cuando su esposo va a la tienda de comestibles, ella arma la lista de cosas a comprar con él. En el bar donde trabajaba, sigue dándole una calurosa bienvenida a los clientes y durante la cena en su casa, ve lo que cocinó su familia.
PHOTOS: Portraits - After the Raid
Over two days, immigration agents staked out homes and business across northern Kentucky, picking up 22 migrants. It was an ordinary raid, but it had lingering effects not just on families that were separated but on the communities they had come to call home. These are some of the faces of the many who were affected - and those who tried to help.