FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Officials in South Florida spent the weekend disinfecting gyms and locker rooms after learning multiple cases of wrestlers who possibly have the bacterial infection...
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Officials believe a visitor to a western Pennsylvania hospital likely was the source of an antibiotic-resistant staph infection contracted by a dozen people, including six...
PITTSBURGH (AP) — A children's hospital in western Pennsylvania says a dozen people — including six babies — are being treated for the antibiotic-resistant staph infection known as MRSA.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Three Los Angeles police officers who work at a station in the San Fernando Valley have been infected with the superbug known as MRSA.
Think of it as decontaminating yourself. Hospitalized patients who harbor certain superbugs can cut their risk of developing full-blown infections if they swab medicated goo in their nose and use special soap and mouthwash for six months after going home, a study found.
NEW YORK (AP) — One type of superbug bacteria is increasingly spreading among people who inject drugs, according to a new government report.
Users of heroin and other injection drugs were 16 times more likely than other people to develop severe illnesses from MRSA, said the report published Thursday.
"Drug use has crept up and now accounts for a substantial proportion of these very serious infections," said Dr. William Schaffner of Vanderbilt University, one of the study's authors.
MONROE, La. (AP) — A Louisiana woman faces a second-degree murder charge for allegedly smuggling oxycodone to a hospital patient.
The News-Star reports that the warrant names 35-year-old Virginia Wharton of Calhoun as the suspect in the death of 38-year-old Justin Ewing.
He died while being treated for a drug-resistant staph infection known as MRSA at Louisiana Extended Care Hospital in West Monroe.
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Officials in Portland, Maine, say two children who attended a summer day camp in a community center have been diagnosed with an antibiotic-resistant skin infection.
The infection is commonly called MRSA, which stands for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Portland spokeswoman Jessica Grondin says one child was hospitalized and has since been released.
OCEAN CITY, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey woman who contracted a MRSA infection after a forced catheterization to take a urine samples following her DUI arrest is being paid $140,000 to settle a lawsuit.
ORANGE, Calif. (AP) — Dangerous bacteria infected 10 infants in a neonatal intensive care unit at a California hospital over a span of eight months, a newspaper reported.
None of the infants died and UC Irvine Medical Center officials have not found the source of the infections by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, known as MRSA, the Los Angeles Times said Thursday (http://lat.ms/2oypqby).
WESTFORD, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts high school is being disinfected after several students were diagnosed with the staph infection known as MRSA.
The superintendent confirmed to The Sun of Lowell on Wednesday that four Westford Academy students have MRSA, which stands for methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus.
BERLIN (AP) — Scientists hunting for ways to treat hard-to-beat bacterial infections have found a new antibiotic hiding right under our noses.
In the past, most new antibiotics have been discovered by sifting through soil samples. But researchers in Germany chose to look at the germs that already inhabit the human body.
They found Staphylococcus aureus bacteria in the noses of about 30 percent of people, raising the question why the other 70 percent weren't beset...