QB Tate Martell says he is leaving Ohio State for Miami
Quarterback Tate Martell says he is transferring from Ohio State to Miami.
Martell announced on Twitter early Wednesday: “I’m a Hurricane.”
Martell had entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal last week and was free to be approached by schools about a potential ...
NEW YORK (AP) — Valtteri Filppula scored 1:37 into overtime and the New York Islanders beat the St. Louis Blues 2-1 Tuesday night for their 12th win in 15 games.
Jordan Eberle had a goal in the first period for New York, and Robin Lehner stopped 30 shots.
David Perron scored the ...
- Ill inmate suggests firing squad as execution alternative
- Judge: Inmate drug reaction wasn't enough to stop execution
- Condemned Ohio killer of 2 wants September execution delayed
- Child killer put to death in first Ohio execution in 3 years
- US Supreme Court denies stay of execution for Ohio convict
- Appeals court ruling opens door to Ohio resuming executions
- Ohio could have path to obtaining long-sought execution drug
- Ohio governor delays 9 executions as court fight continues
- Witnessing death: AP reporters describe problem executions
- New Ohio lethal injection process rejected by appeals court
- Death row inmates' lawyers want to witness other executions
- A look at the status of the death penalty in several states
BOYS PREP BASKETBALL=
Anderson Co. 53, North Oldham 49
Ashland Blazer 74, Rose Hill Christian 39
Barren Co. 61, Ohio Co. 58
Bethlehem 62, Fort Knox 46
Betsy Layne 76, Jackson City 42
Betsy Layne 77, Piarist 36
Bowling Green 72, Christian Co. ...
Federal judge allowing open phone line during execution
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A federal judge is once again allowing the use of an open phone line to his courtroom during an Ohio execution.
Tuesday’s decision by Judge Michael Merz permits use of a system created in 2017 when defense attorneys tried unsuccessfully to stop an execution based on ...
- Hardaway, Knicks give Cavs 4th loss in 5 games, 114-95
- Nets overcome James' triple-double, beat Cavaliers 112-107
- Cavs' Dwyane Wade sidelined with bruised knee
- Tough millennial: Jaylen Brown could be Celtics' X-factor
- AP Interview: Wade wants to wear Heat jersey again _ someday
- It's done: Wade makes it official, signs with Cleveland
- Irving-Thomas deal continues NBA summer of blockbuster moves
- AP source: Cavaliers owner, Billups met for 2nd straight day
- Cavaliers watch NBA draft as Billups watch continues
- Cleveland Cavaliers players, coaches serve Thanksgiving dinner to young students (video)
- 'Shell-shocked' Pistons slapped around by LeBron, Cavs
- Cavaliers win 5th straight in 116-88 rout of Pistons
- Cleveland Cavs could remain in The Q through 2044, according to new lease
- Iman Shumpert, Teyana Taylor's reality show picked up by VH-1
- LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers meet Keenu Not on subway: 60-Second Know-It-All (video)
- LeBron James scores 31 points, Cavaliers top Hornets 115-107
- Hardaway hits late 3 to lift Knicks over Jazz 106-101
- Parents of Ohio student speak out against North Korea
- Parents of Ohio student speak out against North Korea
- US ban on travel North Korea kicks in, with few exceptions
- Americans fly out from North Korea before US travel ban
- US bans travel for Americans to NKorea after Warmbier death
- Hometown Mourners Remember Otto Warmbier
- Student detained in N Korea is mourned at hometown funeral
- Ohio Community Gathers to Honor Otto Warmbier
- US student freed by North Korea in a coma dies at age 22
- A look at baseball's greatest teams _ one for each franchise
- AP source: Mets tab Indians coach Mickey Callaway as manager
- Brantley has surgery, Indians weighing options on his future
- Indians' Encarnacion held out of Game 3 with sprained ankle
- Bullpen aces ready to follow Andrew Miller's lead this fall
- Indians overcome injuries to win Central, eye Series title
- 22 and through: Indians' AL record win streak stopped at 22
- Catch 22: Indians rally, win AL-record 22nd straight game
- LeBron James congratulates Indians on 21-game winning streak
- Roaring 20: Indians equal AL record with 20th straight win
Federal food assistance arriving early because of shutdown
CINCINNATI (AP) — Ohioans who receive food stamps are getting February’s benefits this week.
U.S. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue asked states to issue Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program aid no later than Jan. 20 ...
CLEVELAND (AP) — Four dispensaries are ready to begin selling medical marijuana for the first time in Ohio.
Two of the dispensaries opening Wednesday morning are in the southeast Ohio community of Wintersville, outside Steubenville. The other two dispensaries set to open are in Sandusky in ...
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — One of two brothers from Ohio who admitted giving money to a friend who sent it to an al-Qaida leader has been sentenced to five years in prison.
A federal judge in Toledo sentenced Sultane Salim on Tuesday after he earlier pleaded guilty to concealing the financing of ...
BOYS PREP BASKETBALL=
Angola 56, DeKalb 33
Ansonia, Ohio 57, Union City 45
Bedford N. Lawrence 75, Jennings Co. 56
Bethesda Christian 79, Indpls Metro 73
Brownstown 68, Trinity Lutheran 37
Castle 84, Henderson Co., Ky. 56
Crawford Co. 77, Providence ...
Korpisalo stops 29 shots, Blue Jackets beat Devils 4-1
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The Columbus Blue Jackets extended their win streak to four games and stayed in the thick of the battle at the top of the tough Metropolitan Division. The team’s productive top line is a big reason why.
Pierre-Luc Dubois, Artemi Panarin and Cam Atkinson each had a ...
ATHENS, Ohio (AP) — Jaylin Walker scored 21 points and broke a 3-point record, Philip Whittington had 10 points and 10 rebounds and Kent State pulled away early in the second half to beat Ohio 66-52 on Tuesday night.
Walker hit three 3-pointers to become the leading 3-point shooter in Kent ...
WASHINGTON (AP) — Sen. Sherrod Brown is launching a tour of three states that cast pivotal early votes in the 2020 presidential primary.
The move from the Ohio Democrat is a key step before he decides whether to launch a campaign for the White House.
Brown won a third term in ...
- Cleveland.comWoman, children abducted in Stark County Sheriff’s Office parking lotJanuary 16, 2019
- Cleveland.comMega Millions winning numbers for 01/15/2019; jackpot $55 millionJanuary 16, 2019
- Cleveland.comRascal Flatts restaurant falls through at the Flats East Bank project in ClevelandJanuary 16, 2019
- The Herald-DispatchHagley, Venoy lead CovenantJanuary 15, 2019
- The Herald-DispatchLawrence considers higher dumping feesJanuary 15, 2019
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio (AP) — Justin Turner scored 17 of his 20 points in the first half, Daeqwon Plowden had 19 points and eight rebounds and Bowling Green edged Ball State 79-78 on Tuesday night for its eighth straight victory.
Dylan Frye sank a 3-pointer with 3:09 remaining to extend ...
Utomi, Ivey help Akron hold off Eastern Michigan 51-49
AKRON, Ohio (AP) — Daniel Utomi and Jimond Ivey scored 12 points each and Akron held off Eastern Michigan 51-49 on Tuesday night despite poor shooting from both teams late.
Eastern Michigan (8-9, 2-2 Mid-American Conference) shot 2 of 9 from the floor and had a turnover over the last five ...
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — Jaelan Sanford scored 19 points and Toledo beat Miami (Ohio) 71-59 on Tuesday night for its 11th straight win in the series.
Toledo’s last loss to Miami (Ohio) was a 68-66 setback on Feb. 12, 2011 in coach Tod Kowalczyk’s first season at the helm of the ...
Hospital: Doc gave near-death patients excessive pain meds
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — An intensive care doctor ordered “significantly excessive and potentially fatal” doses of pain medicine for at least 27 near-death patients in the past few years after families asked that lifesaving measures be stopped, an Ohio hospital system announced after being sued by ...
How a state panel of sports writers and broadcasters rates Ohio high school girls basketball teams in the Associated Press polls, by OHSAA divisions, with won-lost record and total points (first-place votes in parentheses):
Authorities: 14-year-old boy pulled from burning house dies
CANTON, Ohio (AP) — Authorities say a 14-year-old boy has been pulled from a burning house and has died.
The Repository in Canton reports that firefighters were called to a house in Plain ...
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — The Blade newspaper in Toledo says it will stop publishing its print edition two days a week.
The newspaper announced Tuesday that it will be distributed only by e-delivery two days each week starting in the week of Feb. 24.
Blade executives did not specify which ...
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The Latest on allegations that near-death patients in Ohio were given excessive pain medication (all times local):
An Ohio doctor under investigation amid allegations that he ordered “excessive and potentially fatal” doses of pain medicine for at least ...
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Former Gov. John Kasich (KAY’-sik) says he’s joined CNN as a political commentator.
The Ohio Republican is a frequent critic of President Donald Trump and a potential 2020 presidential contender.
Kasich announced in a
- BusinessWireSmithers Rapra Strengthens Global Integrated Services for the Automotive Industry With New Product Testing Lab in Suzhou, ChinaJanuary 16, 2019
- BusinessWireEnvisionPharmacies Recognized Among the Nation’s Few Elite Online PharmaciesJanuary 15, 2019
- BusinessWireMentorcliQ Acquires TERP Associates, Appointing Jenn Labin as New Chief Talent & Diversity OfficerJanuary 15, 2019
RICES LANDING, Pa. (AP) — Rices Landing native Walter Maund Jr.’s love of working on the river began when he was a teenager and took a job as a deckhand on a historic steamer named the W.P. Snyder Jr.
Maund was taken ashore in a skiff in 1947 after working long hours on the Snyder, which ...
Ex-principal convicted of sex charges sentenced to 2 years
CHILLICOTHE, Ohio (AP) — A former Ohio principal of the year convicted on charges of having sex with two female high school students has been sentenced to two years in prison.
A Ross County judge on Monday sentenced the former Chillicothe High School principal to prison despite ...
CANTON, Ohio (AP) — Police say a man broke into the Stark County Fairgrounds in Ohio and released more than a dozen racehorses, including one that later died after falling through ice.
The 28-year-old man is facing multiple charges, including breaking and entering, inducing panic and drug ...
Man arrested after releasing 15 racehorses
University faculty union votes to authorize strike
FAIRBORN, Ohio (AP) — The union representing Wright State University faculty members has voted to authorize a strike.
Members of the Wright State chapter of the American Association of University Professors voted Sunday to authorize the strike at the school in southwestern Ohio to begin ...
Federal workers in 2 of Ohio’s big counties to get tax help
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The county that includes Ohio’s capital city will give furloughed federal employees tax help.
Franklin County’s treasurer said Monday that those affected federal employees in the Columbus area will get speeded up consideration for extensions to pay their property tax ...
2 adults, 1 child killed in head-on car crash in Ohio
PARKMAN TOWNSHIP, Ohio (AP) — Authorities say three people, including a child, have died in a head-on car crash in Geauga County.
A Parkman Township fire official
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Carly Santoro scored a season-high 25 points to reach the 1,000-career plateau and Ohio State beat No. 17 Michigan State 65-55 on Monday night.
Ohio State had its 15-point, second-half lead cut to six points with 53.8 seconds left when Jenna Allen was left open for a ...
New GOP Gov. DeWine urges optimism for Ohio at inauguration
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — New Republican Gov. Mike DeWine touted optimism as he began his four-year term Monday, vowing to hear others’ ideas and perspectives and to lead with resolve to create a better future for Ohio’s children, a priority reflected in executive orders he signed in his first ...
The Top Ten teams in the Associated Press Ohio high school basketball poll with first-place votes in parentheses and won-loss record, total points and position last week at right:
Ohio GOP Gov. Mike DeWine sworn in
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Porn star Stormy Daniels sued several Columbus police officers Monday for $2 million over her arrest at a strip club last summer, an incident that sparked criticism of the law used to arrest her and led to other lawsuits against the city.
Daniels’ federal defamation ...
Excerpts of recent editorials of statewide and national interest from Ohio newspapers:
The Columbus Dispatch, Jan. 14
New Speaker Larry Householder had the first laugh, but we hope he doesn’t also get the last laugh over his Democrat-driven selection last week to the most ...
DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — Authorities say a man has been found shot in a car in Ohio and has died.
Dayton police say officers responding to reports of shots fired found the man wounded and slumped over the steering of the car late Sunday night. Investigators say the man was taken to a hospital ...
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Republican John Kasich (KAY’-sik) has a talent agent.
United Talent Agency announced its new client Monday, as Kasich was succeeded as Ohio governor by Republican Mike DeWine.
Kasich said in a release that he’s excited to keep his voice active “across the world” ...
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Frontier Airlines is adding nonstop seasonal flights between Cleveland and a coastal South Carolina city.
News outlets report the low-cost carrier headquartered in Denver announced Monday that the route to and from Charleston will launch May 2. The airline’s website ...
Husband of woman killed by firetruck appeals to high court
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The husband of an Ohio woman fatally struck by a firetruck has appealed his lawsuit against the department and the firefighter who drove the truck to the state Supreme Court.
A Green Springs Volunteer Fire Department truck ran over 53-year-old Lorri Riehm in 2016. The ...
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The Latest on Republican Gov. Mike DeWine swearing in at his home (all times local):
Republican Mike DeWine has been sworn in as Ohio’s 70th governor.
The former U.S. senator took his oath in a private midnight ceremony at his Cedarville home ...
New governor sworn in at home before public inauguration
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Flanked by family and close friends, Mike DeWine became Ohio’s 70th governor shortly after midnight today in private ceremony at his farm near Cedarville.
Sworn in by his son, Ohio Supreme Court Judge Pat DeWine, the governor, 72, took the oath of office with his hand ...
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — A multi-vehicle crash in Ohio involving a hit-and-run driver has injured two police officers and one civilian.
Police say the crash happened around 3:15 p.m. Sunday in Toledo.
A witness told authorities a car ran into a police SUV and then fled the scene.
Foligno, Bobrovsky lead Blue Jackets past Rangers 7-5
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Nick Foligno scored twice, Sergei Bobrovsky returned from a team suspension and stopped 22 shots and the Columbus Blue Jackets held off a late surge and defeated the New York Rangers 7-5 Sunday night.
Cam Atkinson and Artemi Panarin each had a goal and an assist, Ryan ...
Gambling revenue tops nearly $1.9 billion statewide
CLEVELAND (AP) — Ohio’s casinos and racinos recorded 1.86 billion in revenue last year, marking a record profit for the industry that launched in the state in 2012.
Gambling revenue — the amount of money kept by the facilities after paying out winnings — rose more than 7 percent at the ...
HAMILTON, Ohio (AP) — A 20-year veteran journalist has been named the new editor of the Hamilton-Middletown Journal-News in Ohio.
The Journal-News reports that Kyle Nagel has succeeded ...
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — After winning their last two games in overtime, the Columbus Blue Jackets went up by three goals in the third period Sunday night against the New York Rangers and appeared ready to hit cruise control.
It wasn’t going to be that easy, though.
The New York Rangers ...