Erosive osteoarthritis typically affects joints of the hands
Dear Doctor: I was just diagnosed with erosive osteoarthritis. What can you tell me about it? I have it mainly in my hands and feet.
Q: I was just diagnosed with erosive osteoarthritis. What can you tell me about it? I have it mainly in my hands and feet. A: First, let’s explain the most common form of arthritis, known simply as osteoarthritis, which develops slowly over time due to complex changes in cartilage, bone and joint linings. Formerly known as “wear and tear” arthritis, osteoarthritis has no inflammatory component and typically occurs in multiple joints throughout the body. Erosive osteoarthritis, on the other hand,...
Doc: Hemp oil for arthritis bears further investigation
Dear Dr. Roach: I have severe pain from osteoarthritis. I am able to get some relief with one tablet of 5/325 Norco a day. My doctor is trying to wean me off Norco, and some days I can manage with a half-tablet. To help control my pain, I have been using hemp oil with the Norco. I take up to three tablets a day. Hemp oil seems to be a new trend in combating severe arthritis pain. Would you please comment on this?
According to Dr. Scott Paris of Central Jersey Spine and Wellness, more than 27 million people in the country suffer from knee arthritis. An estimated 37 percent of Canadians aged 20 or older who had been diagnosed with arthritis reported osteoarthritis, with 29 percent occurring in the knees, states Statistics Canada. Knee arthritis occurs when there is a degeneration of articular cartilage that covers and protects the patella (knee cap) at the knee joint, offers the online resource Arthritis- Health. Since this cartilage has no nerve endings, some people can experience arthritis but feel no pain. However, pain may occur when doing specific activities that cause impact between bones, like jumping, walking up stairs or certain sports.
“After years of war, my ancestors gave up their barbaric practices and bent the knee to their new kings," says Roose Bolton at one point in the saga “Game of Thrones." In that tale, defeated factions repeatedly bend their knee as an act of submission to a victor. But all that up-and-downing doesn't seem to cause the characters any joint trouble. The same can't be said for binge-watching fans of the series.
Rehab equipment you can buy at the hardware store
Through persistence, dedication and scores of hours of therapy, I've worked my way up to a claw hammer and socket handle with a 9/16-inch socket in my left hand and a big pipe wrench and C clamp in my right.
In a week or so, I expect to be up to a 3/4-inch socket in the left and another C clamp in my right.
It's all being done for therapy on both shoulders, but therapy on the cheap, using tools I have on hand.
Snow: Arthritis can come in many varieties
It is likely that almost everybody has heard the term “arthritis” in some context. Studies have shown close to 1 in 4 adults have been told by their doctor that they suffer from arthritis, and that number appears to be growing, according to the Arthritis Foundation.
- Business WireBioventus Launches New Website for Knee Osteoarthritis Pain Relief InformationOctober 10, 2019
- Business WireGlobal Total Ankle Replacement Market Expected to Grow 8.4% by 2026 Due too Factors Such as Increasing Predominance of Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis - ResearchAndMarkets.comJuly 31, 2019
- Business WireMogrify Subsidiary Chondrogenix Secures Funding from SBRI Healthcare to Advance Regenerative Cartilage Therapy to the ClinicApril 1, 2019
- Globe NewswireRadius Health Presents Analysis from Phase 3 ACTIVE Trial and Data from Preclinical Studies for TYMLOS® (abaloparatide) Injection at ENDO 2019 Annual MeetingMarch 23, 2019
- Globe NewswireAxsome Therapeutics to Focus on Growing Core CNS Portfolio; Establishes Axsome Pain and Primary Care Business Unit to Enhance Value of Non-CNS AssetsOctober 11, 2018
- Post-BulletinMayo Clinic Q&A: Treating osteoarthritis with corticosteroid injectionsOctober 7, 2019
- Idaho State JournalRed Hot Mamas & OsteoarthritisSeptember 30, 2018
- Beatrice Daily SunDiet, exercise and flexibility training can alleviate OA painJuly 27, 2018
- Beatrice Daily SunKnee ligament damage may lead to osteoarthritis, studies sayJuly 8, 2018