FRISCO, Texas — A pair of upsets went down before any games tipped off Wednesday in the Conference USA men’s basketball tournament at the Ford Center at the Star.
The upsets involved conference individual season awards where Middle Tennessee’s Nick King was announced as the C-USA Player of the Year and UTSA’s Steve Henson received Coach of the Year honors.
Voting was done by C-USA head coaches and media representatives in each league city.
UTSA was well on its way to a season-opening 92-59 victory over East Central on Sunday at the Convocation Center when it happened.
Adrian Rodriguez, one of coach Steve Henson’s three prized freshman recruits, went down hard on a drive to the basket, injuring his left knee with 14:38 to go in the game.
“It kind of took my breath away for a minute,” Henson said.
The second-year coach hopes it’s nothing more than that. What a way to start the season.
Considering that UTSA and Southern Mississippi came into Thursday’s game as Conference USA’s two worst shooting teams, it wasn’t a surprise that points were at a premium.
The sputtering flow of both teams might have sent basketball purists screaming to the Convocation Center exits midway through the game.
But UTSA coach Steve Henson wasn’t apologetic about the Roadrunners’ grinding 57-51 win that came on a night when his team shot 36.7 percent.
Beverly’s 21 points help UTSA beat Prairie View 69-59
SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Jeff Beverly scored 21 points on 6-of-13 shooting, Byron Frohnen added 18 points and the University of Texas-San Antonio beat Prairie View 69-59 in Saturday night's home opener, notching coach Steve Henson's first win.
- San Antonio Express-NewsUTSA basketball announces trio of signingsApril 18, 2019
- San Antonio Express-NewsUTSA adjusting practice during lull in scheduleFebruary 22, 2019
- San Antonio Express-NewsUTSA guard duo lighting up scoreboardFebruary 7, 2019
- The Herald-DispatchUTSA guard duo topped Marshall University tandem, 116-106February 6, 2019
- The Herald-DispatchUTSA guard duo topped Marshall tandemFebruary 4, 2019