The risk of UN’s Sustainable Development Goals: too many goals, too little focus
(The Conversation is an independent and nonprofit source of news, analysis and commentary from academic experts.)
Henrik Selin, Boston University
It’s one of 17 goals for the sustainable future of humankind and Planet Earth. On Sept. 25, 2015, the world’s nations, through a United Nations General Assembly Resolution, committed to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, a 15-year action plan to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all.
World Food Day on Oct. 16 heightens our awareness of the work to be done.
SCOTTSBLUFF — A heated exchange over unfunded state mandates and local control of property tax levies ensued Thursday between board members of the North Platte Natural Resources District and State Sen. Steve Erdman of Bayard.
At the heart of the conflict is two bills.
The first bill, LB 962, was passed by the Nebraska Legislature in 2004, and created a major overhaul to the state’s water law. It also created an unfunded mandate.
TOKYO (AP) — "Pen-Pineapple-Apple-Pen" and the U.N. are rhyming.
Japanese comedian Pikotaro has adapted his catchy song to promote the United Nations' sustainable development goals. The original went viral last year after pop star Justin Bieber tweeted that it was his favorite video.
Pikotaro, in his trademark leopard-lizard design outfit, was a bit reserved at an appearance Wednesday alongside the more conservatively dressed Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida.
The Latest: BRICS leaders praise New Development Bank
BENAULIM, India (AP) — The Latest on the BRICS summit of five emerging market economies (all times local):
The newly formed multilateral New Development Bank has been widely praised at this weekend's BRICS summit, with leaders from the grouping hailing the bank's achievements and its support for clean energy and sustainable development projects.
- Business WireITEC Entertainment Joins United Nations Global CompactAugust 14, 2019
- Business WireAmerican Tower Corporation Releases 2018 Corporate Sustainability ReportAugust 6, 2019
- PR.comSaudi Arabia Reviews Economic Reforms at United NationsJuly 23, 2019
- Business WireArcos Dorados Expands its Sustainable Beef Program in BrazilJuly 15, 2019
- Business WireSustainability, resilience are focal points for Integrated Solutions Leader in Black & Veatch’s Water businessJuly 3, 2019