Dog drama at Westminster: Schipperke ruled out for top prize
NEW YORK (AP) — Dog drama at Westminster: The schipperke got skipped.
A day after earning a coveted spot in the final ring of seven at the Westminster Kennel Club, Colton the schipperke was ruled ineligible for best in show Tuesday night.
There was a conflict of interest — top judge Peter Green's longtime partner has co-owned dogs with one of Colton's co-owners, including 2013 Westminster champion Banana Joe the affenpinscher.
Wire fox terriers are still King at Westminster.
A wire fox from Brazil who’s won big in Europe became America’s top dog Tuesday night, beating out a crowd-pleasing longhaired dachshund and popular Sussex spaniel.
‘Best in Show’ dog eats steak in NYC
Dachshunds get chance to break out of Westminster doghouse
NEW YORK (AP) — Could this really be the year that dachshunds get out of the Westminster doghouse?
Always a popular pooch, somehow they've never walked off with best in show at America's top dog competition. But that could change after sprightly Burns won the hound group Monday night at Madison Square Garden.
"Dachshunds are the best breed in the world!" handler Carlos Puig told the cheering crowd at Madison Square Garden.
The Latest: A schipperke wins Westminster nonsporting group
NEW YORK (AP) — The Latest on the Westminster Kennel Club dog show (all times local):
Add a schipperke to the list of dogs who might become the first of their breed to the win the Westminster dog show.
Colton the schipperke won the nonsporting group at Madison Square Garden and advanced to the final ring of seven Tuesday night.
- The Times-TribuneDONNIE COLLINS: Not Best Of Show, But Best Of FriendsFebruary 17, 2019
- The Times-TribuneNot Best Of Show, But Best Of FriendsFebruary 17, 2019
- Columbus TelegramGarland woman's dog wins Best of Breed at Westminster Dog ShowFebruary 15, 2019
- The Spokesman-ReviewNewman Lake dog wins best of breed at WestminsterFebruary 14, 2019
- The Spokesman-ReviewDog from Newman Lake wins best of breed at WestminsterFebruary 14, 2019